SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Logo/Letterhead] for Freelance Web Designer/Developer

I am working on a logo and letterhead for my new freelance web business. Nothing fancy. I am not a particularly good designer - I thrive in code. But here is my shot at it nonetheless:

Color scheme:

Letterhead idea (proposals, contracts, business cards):

Logo (which would go on the site):

The idea is that I could use a more square, smaller version of my logo for print, and the larger version on the site. I think the larger one can still use a lot more work but I'm just throwing these ideas out there to get some feedback.

Thanks
    -Jeff

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    logos should be consistent throughout. You shouldn't have separate logos. The goal is consistency. I doubt you have a large budget so make your branding as simple and cost-effective as possible and use one design rather then several.

Furthermore, I'm failing to see the reasoning behind the feet looking things- is there any?

I'd recommend rethinking the design using only black and white all the transparencies and what not are pretty pointless to logo design.

If you don't believe me then look to the people making thousands on this type of stuff- see many transparencies?

www.landor.com

Also, there really isn't any reason to show anyone colors. The only reason someone would display the colors is if the logo used spot colors.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The off-transparency look in the logo is distracting, and it makes the symmetry of the hoof-leaf design lost. The color choices are pretty much stable. you can't go wrong there.

Consistency. i agree with that with the fontype of the company name. Use the second one.

Can you describe the ruckus? silver trophy MissLee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeff,
    Welcome to SitePoint.

Color Scheme: Like it a lot; it could maybe use a punch color. Right now it could work for any corporate entity from banking to insurance; an accent color will give it a little edge.

Logo: I'll echo the others in saying you should stick with one layout for print and web use. Sure, you can always gloss up or add to the web version but your logo should work across all media forms and not only in color, but black & white & grayscale as well.

On the design itself; I agree with dropping the splashes from behind the J1. It doesn't add anything to the design and makes it look a little sloppy rather than artsy or creative.

I'd stick with the horizontal orientation; the vertical won't work as well with the J1 being so short; you'd either have to keep 'web design' on one line or break between 'web' & 'design'; neither of which look right or balanced.

Normally with the words 'web design' I'd say go ahead with the bolder typeface and darker color on the smaller word but because you have the J1 ahead of that, they (J1 & 'web') wind up competing with each other and neither wins. Since J1 is going to be bigger than 'web', consider keeping it and 'design' the same color. Drop the extra outline stroke on the J1 as well; you're making each element of the name different and the result is a little busy.

Also, the J1 is pretty big & heavy...it makes the logo lopsided. It can remain the focus but consider streamlining it a bit; perhaps drop the top of the 'J' to fit neatly below the left arm of the '1'.

Lose the shading, shadow, bevel (if that's what is on the 'web' & 'design') gloss...drop all of it and work in straight black for a while. Then add color. Then walk away. Part of good design is knowing when to quit and to remember that just because you can, doesn't mean you should. You can always add some bling later to the web version if you feel compelled.

Hope that helps & best of luck. We'd love to see revisions if you choose to share them with us.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your input. I find it so hard to critique my own works, it is definitely a necessity to have a 3rd party review it. Now that I see your opinions, I see your point about adding unnecessary effects. The only problem I see so far from your input is that I am left with practically a simple typeface, maybe some color, and thats it. On the other hand, maybe thats what I want - many companies do a great job going for simplicity (like landor.com).

I'm going to work on revisions as soon as I get home and will post them!

-Jeff

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    landors a huge name. They could make their logo the name in times new roman or helvetica(not that they would) absent of anything else just the most beautiful kerning imaginable and it wouldn't matter because they are so well known. You on the other hand are not well known therefore, you need to stand out. Not standout as in breaking all the logo design rules you possible can but, in a way that creates something unique while staying within proper logo creation guidelines.

Can you describe the ruckus? silver trophy MissLee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Blake View Post
    The only problem I see so far from your input is that I am left with practically a simple typeface, maybe some color, and thats it.
    -Jeff

There's nothing that says you can't add a graphic element to the design; play around with it and just be aware of whether it'll add to the overall look or if it will distract. You can also incorporate an element into the text itself; maybe reinforce the '1' by using the number instead of the 'i' in design or something along those lines.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got some black and white prototypes to show. A little notes on my design:
    • I tried to drop the J below the 1 and kern them together. I think it worked okay. But then I tried giving a stroke of white to the J, and black to the 1, and then aligned them. (last one)
    • It gives it sort of an optical illusion
    • I played around with kerning 'b' and 'd' to give it a little flavor rather than the bland 'webdesign'
    • I also kerned the 'g' and 'n' in web design together, most people probably wouldn't notice (it's the second one)
    • I like the last one the best. Something that seems a little off is the contrast of J1 being much bolder and tighter than 'webdesign'

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few more with color. I decided the J1 looked too thick and retro, so I opted for a lighter version.
    I had this idea where I could make the J1 look like a key, and since 'web' and 'design' were linked together, it would be like J1 unlocks web design (hence J1 webdesign is the solution to your needs!). Kind of difficult to pull off.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    first

No reason to overlap the b and d. Its just creating tension.

The kerning and tracking needs to refined but, its an improvement from initial designs.

Another thing to consider is increasing the weight of the font as a whole. Seems a bit weak cause the letter-forms are so light.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think of this?

PS - The colors (esp. the dark one) look a lot lighter on the web. Is this possible? It's supposed to be #046380. PNG or GIF yield the same result.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That a massacre.

When elements barely touch like that it creates visual tension. Besides aesthetical there isn't really a need for it anyway. I get the j1… I'm sure everyone does – no need to cheapen it by restating the obvious. I think your best direction so far is the first one in the previous set. I would urge you to choose that one before any other and especially this new one.

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Blake View Post
    What do you think of this?

PS - The colors (esp. the dark one) look a lot lighter on the web. Is this possible? It's supposed to be #046380. PNG or GIF yield the same result.
    '
    Remove the web design part from it....make the 'AY' of JAY and 'NE' of ONE smaller so that there is more breathing space and it will look much better...I guess...
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go on Google and type in "free printing samples", and look for companies that will send you free samples of their printing. You will get examples of professional business cards, letterheads. This will create some inspiration.

Secondly check some books by Rockpub, they have some great books on design for logos and letterheads.

BAmagazine.com is another great one.

Best of luck