User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

buying/obtaining a link farm

Guys,

I have a domain that I'm interested in, but its taken by a link farm. Whats the best way to go about obtaining the domain?

We already have the australian domain, and will be getting .co.uk soon. We would like .com as well for movement into the US.

We have a real business case where the business name is the same as the domain name. Is it possible to petition a domain committee based on this? Surely our legitimate business would entitle us to it more than a link farm with non related links would.

thoughts are appreciated

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you're "entitled" to the domain or not is probably a legal question. There is a specific method to acquire a domain through legal means, but that's only a possible alternative if you clearly own the trademark and want to put up a substantial amount of money to navigate the legal process. I do know of some lawyers in this field if you decide to go that route.

The easier, and perhaps less expensive, way is to buy the domain from the entity which is currently in possession of it. Have you tried getting in contact with the owner and talking to them about acquiring it?
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the same logic, if I have a better business model than you do - I should be able to come and "take" your domain from you?

Personally, if it was a name I liked and needed, I'd buy it. Particularly if it fitted the branding and overall marketing effort that you are doing for other extensions.

If in the remote chance you win your case, the cost of winning is probably going to exceed 5-10k (not including your own time and costs).

You don't need luck, you just need an offer that meets the sellers expectation, and is lower than the cost of arbitration (one way guarantees you will own it, the other is a hit and miss exercise and could end up with the owner giving you the finger and never wanting to sell it to you).

You could certainly point out that you own Trademarks in other countries for the "term" etc, who knows, you may bluff a cheaper price.

The reality is, the burden to prove that the person is harming your business by using the name in this way is a tough gig, unless of course they are misleading the public into thinking their domain is actually your company......

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can safely forget about muscling the domain off the current owner. I agree with the other posters - save your pennies and make a good offer. It's your only chance.