SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_dk View Post
    So then how does a search engine bot know what is a true static HTML file and what is a modded dynamic page?
    When the server sees a request for a page that doesn't exits, it redirects according to the mod-rewrite statement. This redirection is caught by the advanced bots, that is why the rank is not as high as it could be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA View Post
    When the server sees a request for a page that doesn't exits, it redirects according to the mod-rewrite statement. This redirection is caught by the advanced bots, that is why the rank is not as high as it could be.
    No advanced bot can detect a redirect unless a redirect header is issued. Even if that is the case, what would be the logic to give static pages more precedence over dynamic ones?

The whole issue of dynamic pages being hard to index started with the issue of them having endless query strings. A search engine's purpose is to index as many pages on the internet as it can find. So it would be pointless to give a higher ranking to static files.

As for the research that you were talking about, it's probably some ignorant person's blog post. There is no evidence at all to prove what you are suggesting.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if that is the case, what would be the logic to give static pages more precedence over dynamic ones?
    I don't care what is the logic. However static pages rank, much better than dynamic pages. And they rank also much better, compared with mod-rewrited pages.

So it would be pointless to give a higher ranking to static files.
    Pointless, may be, if you do not want to get a higher rank.

What I see is that some people like to talk (based on guessing , logic , fortune-telling , etc.), without testing. Test, and then talk. Of course, just talking is easier

SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA
    I don't care what is the logic. However static pages rank, much better than dynamic pages. And they rank also much better, compared with mod-rewrited pages.
    This is simply not true. There are two different ways mod_rewrite can route a request, it can either redirect (and thus send a 301 header) or just re-write the request to another file which is completely transparent to the end user. Yes, if you're redirecting then it would impact ranking but a transparent mod_rewrite will appear to a user (or SE) as a static page.

So then how does a search engine bot know what is a true static HTML file and what is a modded dynamic page?
    Search engines don't know the difference.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pointless, may be, if you do not want to get a higher rank.

What I see is that some people like to talk (based on guessing , logic , fortune-telling , etc.), without testing. Test, and then talk. Of course, just talking is easier
    My point in post 21 still stands. Do you have any actual PROOF? (And no, I'm not asking to be a jerk - I'd really like to see how you reached this conclusion so I can determine for myself if it is indeed reproducable. And I'm sure the others feel the same way, as well. That's not too much to ask, is it?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to be like one of those people. Where's your proof that static pages rank better?
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Do you have any actual proof?
    I do not have the time to search for this issue on the net and find proof. In the little time I spent searching, the most of the sites are SEO sites, that are not to be trusted. Or some forum blogs of people that had problem with mod-rewrite like this one Or just stupid statements like this:
    Google's Webmaster Guidelines clearly state that to "make your site easily accessible...Consider creating static copies of dynamic pages."
    The Guidelines further state "that not every search engine spider crawls dynamic pages as well as static pages."
    Or some applications for creating static content (i.e. Static Publishing Machine )
    Solves dynamic content problems
    Converts JSP, ASP, PHP pages
    Better than Apache mod_dir/mod rewrite/xqasp/HTACCESS solutions
    Creates spider friendly pages
    However I shall tell you what my personal experience with this issue is.

1. In the beginning I was doing pure HTML coding (hand coding). The pages ranked extremely well especially Google and Yahoo. Whenever the keywords have been used, the pages have been in the first 10 results from every search.
    2. Dynamic pages came. The search results dropped to be say, on page 5-6 from the searches.
    3. Mod-rewrited pages. Almost the same as (#2). A strange issue has been registered. Shorter URLS like (i.e. server.com/1.html) ranked better (almost comparing to #1) than longer URLS (i.e. server.com/books/readme.html), although more depicting.
    4. Now I am using a CMS, that produces dynamic pages, but maps them to the filesystem, and cleaned URLs are used (no dynamic extension). The results proved to be excellent. Again the targeted searches bring the pages in the first 10 results (both G and Y).

So for now I am pleased with #4. Of course until something, else (better) pops out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in #4 you rewrite the url to point to an actual HTML file, and so it ranks better?
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have the time to search for this issue on the net and find proof. In the little time I spent searching, the most of the sites are SEO sites, that are not to be trusted. Or some forum blogs of people that had problem with mod-rewrite like this one
    Or just stupid statements like this:

Or some applications for creating static content (i.e. Static Publishing Machine )

However I shall tell you what my personal experience with this issue is.

1. In the beginning I was doing pure HTML coding (hand coding). The pages ranked extremely well especially Google and Yahoo. Whenever the keywords have been used, the pages have been in the first 10 results from every search.
    2. Dynamic pages came. The search results dropped to be say, on page 5-6 from the searches.
    3. Mod-rewrited pages. Almost the same as (#2). A strange issue has been registered. Shorter URLS like (i.e. server.com/1.html) ranked better (almost comparing to #1) than longer URLS (i.e. server.com/books/readme.html), although more depicting.
    4. Now I am using a CMS, that produces dynamic pages, but maps them to the filesystem, and cleaned URLs are used (no dynamic extension). The results proved to be excellent. Again the targeted searches bring the pages in the first 10 results (both G and Y).

So for now I am pleased with #4. Of course until something, else (better) pops out.
    I think you've kind of contradicted yourself there but anyway....

I think it matters more how the pages are mod_rewrite'd, if you have pages like search/1.html, it's not a very good URL and perhaps you're new system creates better URL's. Or perhaps the content was better on the static pages, better use of meta tags, more keywords in the title etc.

It's not a limit of mod_rewrite, as has been said loads of times before, a SE cannot tell the difference between a mod_rewrite'd page and a static page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in #4 you rewrite the url to point to an actual HTML file, and so it ranks better?
    I do not rewrite anything. Just map the dynamic page to the file system. However this is not connected to the initial topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stardustwd View Post
    It's not a limit of mod_rewrite, as has been said loads of times before, a SE cannot tell the difference between a mod_rewrite'd page and a static page.
    Yes, may be true.

However, from the short search on the web, I have seen, that the SE rank pages differently even based on the word separators (dots, underscores, etc.). So when mod-rewriting keep this in mind also.