SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, Florida
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Are There Any CMS's That Publish HTML Pages?

    Just curious, are there any CMS's that publish pages as actual HTML? Similar to Blogger or Moveable Type? (But not blog engines).

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard REMIYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not many.

  3. #3
    phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3,627
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say html pages, what would be wrong with using mod rewrite to add the .html extension? We do this quite often.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard masm50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,508
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you after static html pages?
    It would be a little odd to have a CMS doing so. If you just want static html pages then you could just make them by hand with a template or similar.

    A CMS let's you manage content, which includes editing it, so the content should generally be stored outside of the html file, normally in a database, but sometimes a flatfile. You can make the pages that the cms generates to look like html pages by rewriting the .html extension to each page, but there would generally be little reason to do so. SEO with modern search engines do not generally need .html to get the page spidered.

    If you really want to have static pages, a lot of CMSs offer cache options that make various parts or whole pages caches from the database and therefore static and do not call the database each time they are viewed. This does reduce the server load but also the interactivity of each page.

    If you really want the CMS to publish html pages then maybe take a look at CushyCMS or Contribute. However, I do not see much reason for needing to do so.

    -Tim

  5. #5
    SitePoint Wizard REMIYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I don't like using modrewrite, especially if you want to have good rank in the search engines. That is why I discourage using modrewrite, except may be for forums, where page ranking is not so important.

    My first CMS-es used static HTML pages and they ranked extremely well in the search engines. The only drawback was that the content had to be regenerated after each content edit, which was done automatic by the PHP engine.

    Then the CMS with dynamic pages ranked extremely BAD in the search engines, even with modrewrite turned on.

    However in my current CMS I use static filemapping with dynamic PHP content and it turns out to be a very good solution, because the pages rank SURPRISINGLY well in the search engines, second only to static HTML pages.

  6. #6
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually using mod_rewrite is a VERY good thing for the search engines. Especially since it fixes a lot of problems that would be impossible to correct post-production otherwise.

  7. #7
    Guru Meditation Error gnarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cheltenham, United Kingdom
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA View Post
    Then the CMS with dynamic pages ranked extremely BAD in the search engines, even with modrewrite turned on.
    To be brutally honest, that's more likely to be a poorly coded CMS, or poor content than a problem with dynamic pages as such. Look at the number of dynamic sites out there doing well in the search engines!
    Olly Hodgson
    thinkdrastic.net

  8. #8
    SitePoint Wizard REMIYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarly View Post
    Look at the number of dynamic sites out there doing well in the search engines!
    Just think where they would be, if the pages were static

  9. #9
    SitePoint Addict Sgt. Baboon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Article Manager from interactivetools.com creates static pages with any extension you'd like. This script is so customizable you can use it for just about anything.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Enthusiast mg1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA View Post
    Just think where they would be, if the pages were static
    Don't you think the search engines are evolving too ? And can do more with dynamic pages now than in the past??
    Web software reviews, news, tips & tricks - MyTestBox.com
    BankruptcyService.com - Bankruptcy is not the end of the world

  11. #11
    SitePoint Wizard REMIYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mg1313 View Post
    Don't you think the search engines are evolving too ? And can do more with dynamic pages now than in the past??
    When I see how fast the software is evolving , if the humankind has been evolutioning so fast we would still be monkeys!

  12. #12
    SitePoint Wizard jimbo_dk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can checkout the new CushyCMS. It publishes HTML files. But your arguments for using HTML files are not valid at all.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

  13. #13
    SitePoint Enthusiast mg1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA View Post
    if the humankind has been evolutioning so fast we would still be monkeys!
    Sure ...
    Web software reviews, news, tips & tricks - MyTestBox.com
    BankruptcyService.com - Bankruptcy is not the end of the world

  14. #14
    WordPress Freelancer banago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vlorė, Albania
    Posts
    446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress is the best
    WPlancer.Com - PHP & WordPress Developer
    ProverbHunter - English Proverbs Explained

  15. #15
    SitePoint Wizard REMIYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banago View Post
    WordPress is the best
    Not sure, if WordPress outputs HTML pages.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Wizard jimbo_dk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA View Post
    Not sure, if WordPress outputs HTML pages.

    If you're talking about publishing actual HTML files (like Blogger does), WP doesn't do that. You can however change the permalinks to have a .html extension. The case remains though, that there is no proper reason to do so.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

  17. #17
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    3,019
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe www.bigmedium.com publishes html pages, but you should check out their features page to be sure.

  18. #18
    WordPress Freelancer banago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vlorė, Albania
    Posts
    446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_dk View Post
    If you're talking about publishing actual HTML files (like Blogger does), WP doesn't do that. You can however change the permalinks to have a .html extension. The case remains though, that there is no proper reason to do so.
    This is true. Why bother? I like very much the actual permanent links.
    WPlancer.Com - PHP & WordPress Developer
    ProverbHunter - English Proverbs Explained

  19. #19
    SitePoint Wizard REMIYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banago View Post
    This is true. Why bother? I like very much the actual permanent links.
    The research shows static pages rank much, much better. Mod-rewrited ones do NOT rank so good as the static pages.

  20. #20
    SitePoint Wizard jimbo_dk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA View Post
    The research shows static pages rank much, much better. Mod-rewrited ones do NOT rank so good as the static pages.

    What research is that? Can you point to any evidence?
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

  21. #21
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA View Post
    The research shows static pages rank much, much better. Mod-rewrited ones do NOT rank so good as the static pages.
    Got any proof of that? And by proof I mean verifiable, independent third party evidence that can and has been reproduced elsewhere by impartial testers who have an open mind.

  22. #22
    WordPress Freelancer banago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vlorė, Albania
    Posts
    446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA View Post
    The research shows static pages rank much, much better. Mod-rewrited ones do NOT rank so good as the static pages.
    If it was so, I think WordPress developers would have made the links with .html extension. But it is just a subjective opinion. Any proof for your opinion is appreciated. Thanks!
    WPlancer.Com - PHP & WordPress Developer
    ProverbHunter - English Proverbs Explained

  23. #23
    SitePoint Wizard REMIYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banago View Post
    If it was so, I think WordPress developers would have made the links with .html extension.
    It is not so easy, because they are actually mod-rewriting dynamic (e.g. PHP , ASP, etc.) pages. And they need the dynamic features.

  24. #24
    SitePoint Wizard REMIYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    ... verifiable, independent third party evidence...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    ... impartial testers who have an open mind...
    Wow.

  25. #25
    SitePoint Wizard jimbo_dk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA View Post
    It is not so easy, because they are actually mod-rewriting dynamic (e.g. PHP , ASP, etc.) pages. And they need the dynamic features.
    So then how does a search engine bot know what is a true static HTML file and what is a modded dynamic page?
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •