SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managed or root?

In need of a hosting upgrade with my current host 1&1, I'm looking at the option of managed or root.

I'm wondering if, as I'm not a tech expert, root is beyond my scope or whether can it be sensibly handled?

Question 1 : Never having done this before, what's likely to be involved in the server admin - presumably I'll be needing to upgrade the OS from time to time?

Reading their promo:
    '1&1 handles all the server administration and pre-installs features like MySQL Databases, Firewall protection, a GeoTrust Dedicated SSL Certificate, and advanced configuration tools.'

Sounds nice.
    Question 2: Am I right to assume that 'all the normal stuff' is likely to be installed, and which of the above won't be?

More from their promo:
    '1&1 Managed Server packages also include all of the intuitive site-building and marketing tools found in 1&1's top-of-the-line shared hosting plan.'

Fine, And I don't care as they're not that good so I don't use them anyway. And it'd be useful to add some fairly common stuff they seem to not bother with.

And more:
    'Plus, daily backup of your data is completely automated.'

This might be a mixed blessing... 'Backup' has bothered me for awhile. I've heard tales of woe where hosts haven't done dailies, or have restored out-of-date data.
    Some of my site has frequently-changed data, some of which is critical - for example, new member registrations. In less-critical stuff, for instance where I've updated a graphic, fixed a typo or something similar, I'd like the advantage of knowing when stuff got hosed - and therefore being able to restore with the current copy, rather than my host restoring with out-of-date stuff.

Question 3: With a root server, other than files being visibly corrupted or absent, how will I become aware that things ain't right?

And finally, I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff of which I'm not aware and therefore haven't considered. Suggestions appreciated, please & thanks.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are really questions to ask 1&1. But since you're not a "tech expert" then you'll definitely want to be sure you have some sort of support from them - which may be what they mean by "managed server" - and what kind of support that involves, specifically. It may also mean that they provide monitoring services to let you know if something is going wrong on the server.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Their support is often variable between really good and total crap.

I'm now trying their mid-level VPS - for which their documentation is almost nil, so I'm off to learn about Plesk.