SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay....buying and selling right? Good cuz I need help<G>

I am new (I mean "NEW"!) to the whole web for income world and really could use some advice on buying a website.

I have a "beginers" site I bought cheap just to get my feet wet... it was enough of an education to ge me shopping around for an established site. May sound familiar to some of u out there?

Recently someone offered me a site for 20k I think it is a great price..from my short self-taught education on researching sites traffic etc...

Because the site has never been up for sale in ten yrs I would really like to run the specifics by somebody that I could trust not to go around me and out bid me...etc.

is there a service for this or at least a good idea on what to do here.
    being so new to this industry 20k is more than i had planned for my second site...on the other hand oppourtunity only knocks once?
    Last edited by 68c10; Apr 29, 2008 at 15:44.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy to give you my personal opinion on the matter. No cost, just drop me an email: jeremy@b5media.com.

We won't bid on it without your permission. And while it's free, just remember it's a sample size of 1 person - so it could be off/wrong/whatever. Just my personal opinion is all you're getting
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20K seems a pretty big investment for a 2nd site, but if the deal is right and you've got the means, then it's worth some investigation.

There's some good advice you can find in this thread.

For 20K you'd want the site be delivering some pretty solid revenue or you know if a tap you can turn on pretty quickly.

Like any investment you need to balance risk v's return and have a solid business plan to ensure you get the ROI.
    Shayne Tilley

My slightly left of center thoughts on
    marketing, business and life in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ]20K seems a pretty big investment for a 2nd site, but if the deal is right and you've got the means, then it's worth some investigation.

There's some good advice you can find in

For 20K you'd want the site be delivering some pretty solid revenue or you know if a tap you can turn on pretty quickly.

Like any investment you need to balance risk v's return and have a solid business plan to ensure you get the ROI.[/QUOTE]

Thank you both for taking time to respond...and giving me very sound advice

The site fits all the criteria that my studies show should be there...the site fits the family life style..established site..great alexa (600k) and google page rank (pr3) etc. ... even with my limited experience I believe stated revenue is true...Hell if its half true Ill be fine..But I would like to at least confirm my thinking with someone with more experience.

(Thanks Jeramey for the offer you can probably expect an e-mail.)

My problems lie in the fact that I am green green green in ability for the upkeep of a busy site...a basic knowledge HTML is it...I am trying to decide on witch program to live in for the next 6 months for my crash course education..RE..Dream weaver, tea cup, joomla etc. I dont know yet what the existing person uses...but if it isnt real simple I wont be leaving my computer and or the local night school for a long time LOL..hopefully they will offer to train me some...

second consideration is in the purchess of the site...I am not sure exactly what to put in a contract...is there a contract? what to ask for in escrow...I am a very trusting person but I am also used to working with people face to face and I find it hard to "read" people well on a computer screen <G> Is there a standard form somewhere for "Not so real" estate? Maybe a list of possible items to look for? Or should I get a web expert? a lawyer? Alot of questions..

I think If I had a lawyer draw something up they would inevitably make things worse..Sorry if your in law...I am a contractor and could buy or sell a house with out a hitch I am just a little lost in the cyber world.
    How to handle intellectual property or trademarks or any other non tangible stuff I dont understand. What else is there I should be aware of if anything?

Heck my other site I payed for on pay pal and it was in my name in a couple of hours...A LOT less money!!! but since I have been reading the posts here and other sites I have gotten much more cautious

I believe I have found the perfect web site for me its just sooner than expected.

Any guidance is appriciated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 68c10 View Post
    ].I am trying to decide on witch program to live in for the next 6 months for my crash course education.
    You've certainly come to the right place for that... There is loads of free articles and some very helpful people on this forum who can give you advice on that.

I'd be using an Escrow service for the transfer. I like to give people the benefit of doubt, but there a too many people in this world who prey on that fact.

I'd also consider using the formal consultative advice of an expert in this field. It might cost you a few dollars, but it will be worth it.
    Shayne Tilley

My slightly left of center thoughts on
    marketing, business and life in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Shayne,
    I seriously appreciate your help!

I set up funds for the site and emailed the seller asking to set up escrow but havnt heard back from the them yet....

I am definitely open to paying someone a couple of bucks for some professional advice....just don't know where to go to get it LOL!

I am looking here locally for some one I can talk to in person...no luck yet...

With all the reading i have been doing I am getting a better idea on how much time and work the business will be...it is looking a lot less intimidating! Since I am not the type to half step most things I belive I can get a handle on this in the next six months or so... does that make sense? Or am I optimistic? <G>

Thanks again for your help

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some scammers will tuck tail and run at the first mention of escrow.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys...i need a revenue website generating atleast $200 steady income......this is my working capital approx.$2000.........so i dont want to put it in the wrong place..........just feeling worried a bit.......need u guys help in deciding which one to buy.....gainmuscleguidesexposed.com this one is available for around 2200$.....wat do u guys say.........if anyone has better offers do let me know..........i want a stable website and minimal or no maintainance......help me out

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an if anyone of the experts are offering paid brokerage service for professional help do let me know......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank peter for some off-site advice and info...on the buying of this site...unfortunately i havent heard back from the seller yet.

Not sure if it is the "escrow" that scared him or what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice would be to either start a little smaller, or try to find (or hire) a partner.

What is your background (schooling) and what type of site is it? You may not be ready for this type of investment yet.

I would think it's better to start a site from scratch and work it up through the ranks before any sizable investment. That way you know everything that goes into site maintenance. I mean it seems like an easy start but after Ad choice and placement, database management, SERPs, and day to day operations a 20k dollar site could very well become a full time job

Just my 2 cents.
    • Follow the dancing banana

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20K is a big investment, but its really depents how's the revenue. do you have similar background with site's contents? if u don't, as other people said, try to find a partner to run this business with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dastuff and c55,
    Thanks for the post...
    Yea the site came earlier in my "web carear" than i would have liked! LOL

I do have a site i have been trying to promote....thats what got me looking for an established site!!

I visit this site often and really like it...so one day I sent an e-mail and asked if it was for sale....about a month later i got an email and the owner told me that he was very ill and needed to sell! I was surprised, exited and dumbfounded all at once....

I have no schooling in web site stuff but i am good on computers (self taught since early 80's) and decided that If i got the site I would just jump in with both feet and learn!.. heck I learned AutoCad from books before it had a GUI...and made a living with it!

The site is almost 10 yrs old and is very stable, total oganic traffic..
    has average 300,000 page views a month, 40,000 uniques per month, 2500 dailly visits avg, alexa is up 550,000 and all arrows in the green..pr gone from 3 to 4 last check.
    the owner claimed 40k last yr...10 hrs per wk maint..

I dont see a reason for him to try and scam me since he isnt really trying to market the site....

To be honest if he did 20k or even less I would still buy the site just because I know the content in my sleep and I like the site and would be proud to run it!

I do believe there are several ways to improve the site and monetize a little better w/o ruining the integrity of the site..so if I could get my investment back in a year or two I would be happy....

unfortunately i think he has either changed his mind or is to ill to respond..

We'll see.