SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best possible way to handle email

I want to change the way I deal with email, and the way I help my clients set theirs up.

Currently I just use Thunderbird, and recommend the same (or Outlook) to clients. Lately I'm noticing it's really nice to have access when I'm not at my primary computer.

I also kind of prefer for clients to not leave their email on their hosting account. It's not that I'm running out of space, I just like it that way. Don't really know why, less liability on my part if the server explodes I guess?

So here's what I want:
    Access from anywhere
    Hard copy downloaded on one or more local computers for quick/offline access
    Host it somewhere else

I'm thinking maybe set up a gmail account (or merge with an existing one) to grab the emails from my server via pop3. People tend to have an easier time using gmail than the squirrel mail that I host, and it's easier to show them stuff like google docs or calendar if they already have an account.

Then I would set Thunderbird to download the messages from gmail and leave them on the server, so they would be available that way as well.

Only problem I can see is what if they don't want Thunderbird to download their personal emails as well... would it grab just the ones from one of the accounts? Anyone know?

Opinions? Anyone have an awesomer, geekier way of handling their email? Discuss, and make me smarter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft Exchange email is another way. This is what I use - I keep about three months of email on the server and I have access to all of that with Outlook Web Access (OWA). And there is a mobile version as well but that is not needed usually since my phone syncs with Exchange.

It makes it pretty easy managing an Exchange account - I can pop all the other email accounts and then even sync the folders with Exchange. Exchange hosting seems to have become a bit bigger in the past six months or so.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I'm reading your question right. I've used webmail.us in the past. If I recall, it was mid-range priced, and they own the servers. I recall reading you could brand it for your services as well, so you could use their services with your name.