Hybrid View

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excel -> Access97

From the "I-hate-Microsoft Office-But-It's-All-I-Have" Department:

Here' at work my department tracks monthly numbers for our department and this is usually falls into the category of an Excel chart that we track the different items and it totals these things up. Now I was thinking, it would be better if we would be able to port these totals over to Access (again, what I have access to and have permission to use for work) to create reports etc. How can I link my front end in Excel to a backend in Access without trying to do a manual import of Excel data while in Access?

As of now we are using Office 97 but they tell me any day that e are supposed to be upgraded to Office 2000. That could and should be this weekend or it might (and probably will be) several weeks or even months down the road.

Any ideas?

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can link to an Excel spreadsheet in 2000 and I think in 97 as well. Instead of import data choose link tables on the same menu. You should then be able to query and report straight from the excel data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you do this withmultiple Excel charts? As in one for each coworker (3)?

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just want to get the data accross don't you -- after that you wont need the excel spreadsheet anymore?

I'm not sure 97 actually has this feature, but in Access XP there is an 'import data' option under the file menu which has an option to import data from excell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no actually, I want the Excel front end tied to the Access back end, and I need it to be dynamic. I actually think that I can do it dynamically, I just might have to rework my Excel worksheet to accommodate Access....stupid Microsoft suite that is supposed to work together for peace of mind...

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is actually a 'link tables' option under that same import data menu

I've linked Word and Access before (so I could link stationary and have clients names dynamically inserted). That worked out okay...