SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sell hosting but not domains?

Like most people, I don't want to be responsible for registering and maintaining my clients' domain names. I do like to offer web hosting though. The problem though with referring a client to a registrar like GoDaddy is they are often sold 100 other services. You then end up explaining why your web hosting services or services offered are better than the registrar's.

Do you guys use a registrar that simply does domain names? Or do you just explain why you would rather do the hosting? How do you deal with this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you just buy an API Domain Reseller package from GoDaddy. When someone orders web hosting, your billing system can automatically register the domain under your reseller account and get commission at the same time.

Or you can use ENOM and some others similar providers.

FYI, you are competing with quite a lot of web hosting companies out there. So customers tend to look for a solution where everything comes as a package. Only advanced users tend to use Domain Registrars just for domain names, and web hosting for web hosting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I do have an enom reseller account but I don't think it links up with WHMCS... I just wish there were a way to show my customers a quick registration page that lets them pay. I don't mind helping them register the domain, but I don't want to be responsible for paying, just in case something goes wrong.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just try to explain to any client that they shouldn't have all their eggs in one basket. Keep domain and hosting separate.