SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terms of Use. Which legal service choose to write it?

We are very short with our budget but we still need a quality legal service to write Terms of Use, Privacy Policy + contract for our affiliate partners for social networking portal.

Which company would you recommend? Any info would be great.

Thank you
    Ernest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past I've used etrust (www.etrust.org) technically they don't write the privacy policy for you, but if you have a skeleton version they can bulk it up and get it in good shape.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would write it myself, there are plenty of templates about on the web or existing ones you can simply adapt the clauses to a contract of your own creation. It is just a matter of using the right wording and making sure to cover every element which may affect your end users as a result of using your services.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to be careful and write your terms for the country where you do business. Simply using a generic document (or even copying someone elses) will probably mean everything is wrong according to your countries laws.

If you can tell us what country you dio business in I'm sure people will be able to be more specific.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Services don't write agreements. Lawyers do.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mickiewicz View Post
    Services don't write agreements. Lawyers do.
    I am not a lawyer and have written my own terms of service and privacy policy. Agreements are made between two individuals (usually provider and client) and are in no way contractual or legally binding, the whole point of a terms of usage agreement is that the end user signifies that they will comply with those terms otherwise the provider of that service can at their own wish take action and a privacy policy exists to explain what the end user can expect from the host.

It is like this forum's rules, they are in no way legally binding but set out a set of standards to follow or risk being denied access to the service. As no money changes hands when you generally visit a website and access to that service is not something you are legally entitled to (unless it is being denied in violation of the law such as disability or if you have a legally protected right to access to that service) there is no reason why you should involve a lawyer in my opinion.

All a terms of service and privacy policy signify is a mutual agreement which is non-legal but states acceptable recognition for how a user can and cannot use that website at the risk of being asked to leave.