User Tag List

Hybrid View

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rails editor roundup

Ruby Reddit just pointed out that TextMate 2.0 might well be classified as vaporware at this point, as it's been 26 months since it's really been mentioned. I'm sure it will get released at some point, but when that is remains to be seen.

It got me thinking... I'm a huge fan of TextMate, but there are some things lately that have been less-than-optimal for me, buggy here and there, and so on. It's more or less "the" text editor if you're doing work in Rails, and that's likely not going to change any time soon.

What's everyone using nowadays? It's helpful to have a discussion about such things every now and then to see if there's anything hip and trendy that's moving through the industry that others might not have heard of, or perhaps there's been an update to that older app that you never used but might want to give a second shot.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netbeans is my IDE of choice. It's eclipsed Eclipse/RadRails for me. I had a play with 3rdRail, but NetBeans does everything that 3rd Rails does and more and is free.

Netbeans can be a little too helpful sometimes and pop up too many hints, but a quick Esc gets it back in line . It also needs more RAM than Eclipse if it is to perform reasonably. So not perfect, but definitely the best I've tried.

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Netbeans is my IDE of choice. It's eclipsed Eclipse/RadRails for me. I had a play with 3rdRail, but NetBeans does everything that 3rd Rails does and more and is free.

Netbeans can be a little too helpful sometimes and pop up too many hints, but a quick Esc gets it back in line . It also needs more RAM than Eclipse if it is to perform reasonably. So not perfect, but definitely the best I've tried.
    +1 for Netbeans.

The linux version is very fast (the Windows version is quite sloooooow)
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emacs. I've tried RadRails (now Aptana). It's ok but a little slow and the interface doesn't work well with a large number of files open.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There might've been a reason as to why I posted this in the Ruby section, but apparently the higher powers have (silently) moved it here.

Fenrir2 — any thoughts on Emacs for Rails development? In the reddit thread I referenced, Emacs seemed to be the next alternative to TextMate... I'd be interested on seeing why you use it specifically.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken a liking to Komodo IDE. I'm not really a RoR person as I've only started but so far what i've seen that Komodo can do with RoR projects it might be of intrest.

http://www.activestate.com/Products/...de/index.mhtml

Course there is always Vim and Emacs
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emacs is a nice editor in general. It has the things you expect from an editor, like syntax highlighting, autmatic indentation and incremental search. Two unusual things that I find important are the availability of keyboard shortcuts for common operations and a powerful scripting language (elisp). The keyboard shortcuts are important to me because I'm using a laptop. My laptop has a small screen so it's nice that Emacs has an uncluttered interface (you can disable every menu bar, leaving only a text editing box).
    Last edited by Fenrir2; Apr 27, 2008 at 02:47.