SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Version control.

Alright, I need some advice. Google actually failed me in this respect (I know, I was shocked too), I can't seem to find anything to facilitate what I need.

A friend of mine (and probably more in the future) are starting a project, and we need to be able to keep current with one another. Here's the hitch, we need not only version control for our files (the project is written in PHP and has numerous other files, images and so forth), but for our MySQL database as well.

I have absolutely no idea if something like this exists, but ideally, we need something that will:

- Update any file changes we make so that everyone has the updated files
    - Keep track of what files and directories are there, one person changes it, everyone sees the change
    - Keep our MySQL database structure current. One of us changes a table, everyone has the updates locally

Basically, we want to be able to keep everything current with one another on our local machines. D: I really don't know if it's even possible, I know it's kinda asking a lot, but does anyone have any suggestions?
    One single silver bullet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in a similar situation, and am thinking of trying out github.com. Looks promising. If you do check it out, let me know how it goes.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how to keep the DB versioned other then pulling down a dump each time before sending.

But there is SVN, CVS, GIT an a few others out there.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.