SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Device Independent

There are significant efforts to integrate Web technologies into various devices (e.g., mobile, TV sets) other than the traditional Web access equipment such as PCs. However, we are faced with the possibility that services for those devices may not interoperate with each other or with the existing Web. That would not only cause fragmentation of the Web space, but also make Web device independent authoring impossible.

Where do you see your website been displayed within the next five years? I quite fancy people reading my ramblings from their car, or maybe on the door of the fridge whilst getting some milk.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you mention, my stuff might just make a little more sense if read while bathing in the rays of a microwave oven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we've gotten to the point where internet growth is going to slow down. As people loose interest and the public gets used to what it has, they aren't going to accept some new technologies (like that internet-only computer?)

Five years from now it will be different, but it won't look like Star Trek from the 56th episode.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for ruining my hopes of surfing the 'Net on my microwave, geiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well technology is advancing pretty quick .. but not to a great stuff.. i mean .. a digital viewer only with internet or a digital scrathpad isnt going to be liked by all users and can divide the people into different sections . so i think i am not buying any of such kind in next five years.. but for next ten .. i ll wait for something revolutionary !!
    Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously doubt that the internet will truely be as device independent as what w3c believe, sure a convergance between the net and TV is likely, mobile phones and wap access have been around for years but have never taken off, pda's are growing still but how many of you with a wap/net enabled mobile or pda use it on a regular basis for browsing the net?

There was a digital house built in sydney a few years ago by companies such as cisco, LG electronics, Nokia and a few others, When they tried to sell the house (in an expensive part of sydney) for AU$1million they couldn't, the house was then gutted of all the technology and sold for $950,000.. yet there was over $300,000 worth of technology removed. The fridge could tell what you needed from the grocery store, and could order it over the net, every room had internet access all that rubish and nobody wanted to live there because people work with technology everyday, no matter what there job almost and the last thing you want when you get home is to be bombarded with technology.

The only use for net enabled cars is for traffic alerts and that kind of stuff, i dont think any site i ever make in the next 5 years will make its way into a car, fridge, radio or tv set..

I tend to agree more with geiger, altho statistics show that net usage is growing its not as much on a personal lets find my horoscopes for the day type growth but more because more business are giving there employes net access for work related research ect. The general population tho isnt as addicted to the net as what us lot are.