SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Print brochure / PDF advice

I have been offerd some work to produce brochures for print and distribution by PDF for a website I am just starting on but have not done any print work in the past and seek your advice.

The client has asked for them in Pagemaker. Would any other programs, such as Illustrator or Freehand, be able to save in Pagemaker format or is this the industry standard?

I am a bit of a Macromedia fan so if it can all be done in FreeHand that would be great.

Also, what sort of resolutions, page sizes etc are we talking about for print and PDF?

Any other advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by tommatthews; Mar 28, 2002 at 16:50.

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess you could use Freehand or Illustrator, however PageMaker is aimed at producing intricate layouts, therefore it would make sense to use the best tool for the job, rather than the tool that you know. It is very easy to pick up and I am sure that you could use it competently within a few hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone else give advice on this?
    I am not sure whether it is worth spending $1000 for a program for a $500 project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your client has specified Pagemaker you may be stuck, I don't know of any other program out there that exports Pagemaker files so it would need the program.

However, Pagemaker is a page layout program, like Quark Express. You genrally do all the design work in other programs i.e. Your illistrations in Freehand, illistrator or Corel. Your photo manipulation or motage in Photoshop and your text in a wordprocessor. Pagemaker just 'glues' them all together. So my advice would be not to buy pagemaker but design all the elements and then take them to a design studio or printer to make the page up for you (find one first and consult with them though)You should be able to find somewhere that charges between 40 and 80 an hour, and if you do your bit right the actual page make up should not take long.

On to print tips:

Page size is dependent on your country, in the UK we use the 'A' size scheme (A4, A3, A2 etc) in the USA its diffrent other countries may be too, check with the printer.

Do as much of the work as you can in vector format, it's resolution independent so will produce the best output. Anything you do in photoshop do at 300dpi (can sometimes be overkill, but better safe than sorry)

Work in CMYK not RGB in both your vector and bitmap program.

But most of all talk to your printer - we are generally quite nice people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks Sowen. I knew someone would come through with some good advice.

The client is in Hong Kong so I imagine it will be UK specs.

Do printers usually accept Pagemaker and Quark Express?

My sister is a Quark wiz so I might see if she can "glue" it together for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your client only wants the finished brochures and a PDF run with Quark (although not my choice) it is industry standard so any printer should accept it. I am sure Quark can produce PDF's direct but if not you will have to 'print' a ps file and run it through Acrobat Distiller, this will give you the option of pre-press quality and web quality so it should do the trick. If you sister is a quark wiz she should be able to take it from here, but any more questions just ask

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to confirm that you can save directly to PDF from quark.

qamar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers qamar, I wasn't sure