Thread: Feedback Needed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback Needed

Hi,

Please visit my website and post your reviews.

I am ready to be torn to bits.

Honest reviews about anything will be appreciated.

www.aviationearth.com

Thank you very much.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site's really nice actually - I gotta run, but I'll get more detailed later on.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi Farrhad,

The site looks really nice and calm. I really like the design

Some things I would look at:
    • Check the main menu in IE6: the image is screwed up by it.
    • I find the welcometext a little small and would like to easily scan it, to see if this site would be something for me. Also it raises some questions: 'How am i helping you to provide all the aviation data I want?', 'what details about aircraft or aviation can I find exactly?'.
    • I find the newletterbox being to close to the green search element.
    • I would omit the "do browse through verious aviation..." bit. It doesn't really add anything and you could use the precious space on the landing page for better use.
    • I would revise the text in the newsletterbox, because the 'you will...' doesn't make it sound very attractive to me. I think something like "Subscribe now and receive up to date information about the world of aviation. No spam - no ads."
    • I'd like to see some more information on the landing page of what I can find on the rest of the site. Something of a teaser (the featured download isn't catching me enough). Maybe a little slideshow with teasing cool aircrafts. Or something that shows you really tell some details about planes and theory. Now I have to visit other pages first to find that out.

Overall the site looks really nice and professional: good job!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jawabba,

Thanks a ton. Do visit Aviation Earth and see your suggestions!

Farrhad

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...just a suggestion (for both here and on your site):

when you say "Do visit..." or "Do browse..." it comes off as a command - like "DO IT NOW!" And in general, people don't like to be told what to do.

It would sound a lot better if you would say "Please visit my site..." or "Feel free to browse..."

I agree with every point that Jawabba suggested, and the only thing that I can suggest to you is to add more content.

Good content is why people bookmark and link to other sites. It is also how google puts your site on their search results. Without much content, you won't get the results you're looking for.

As I said earlier - the site it nicely laid out, with good color scheme and good use of whitespace. Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general it looks good. The glossy/shadowed topbar looks superb as does the logo.

I cant help but feel there's a bit too much whitespace, and the distant blue boxes on the right just dont seem to mesh with the top images, possibly consider a "wrapper" to break up the whiteness of the site. Other than that, good navigation structure, nice subtle colours and a nice intro on the frontpage.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design Wise I like the simplicity, but I think semetrics play a big roll and making a site look "proper".
    Things I would consider changing:
    -Center logo, and make it slightly bigger.
    -The text seems a little spaced out to me.
    -The three boxes at the bottom of the page should all be the same size.

Otherwise great site, Regards Dave

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin1121 View Post
    Design Wise I like the simplicity, but I think semetrics play a big roll and making a site look "proper".
    Things I would consider changing:
    -Center logo, and make it slightly bigger.
    -The text seems a little spaced out to me.
    -The three boxes at the bottom of the page should all be the same size.

Otherwise great site, Regards Dave
    I don't agree with the logo thing at all... I think it's fine as is.

The text is spaced a lot, but those few lines on the front page are all paragraphs, so they should be spaced out. If the text was more full (several lines per paragraph, as opposed to one) it would look better.

And I think the boxes could go either way. But if you do decide to make them all the same height, check out this IE6 hack for min-height. It simple, and it works like a charm:
    http://www.dustindiaz.com/min-height-fast-hack/
    Last edited by HAWK; Mar 30, 2014 at 18:13.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reviews.
    Am looking into them.

SitePoint Enthusiast TheLunchBox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the site looks pretty solid. Nice, clean, and for the most part very easy to read.

I especially like the accent in the top corner of the boxes.

I would however re-iterate that the boxes at the bottom of the home page might look better if they were equal height. I would also agree that the welcome text looks a little too spaced out, but rather than increasing the line-height I would look at bumping up the font-size a bit.

Finally on some of the interior pages, like the aircraft data page, the boxes are a few pixels off from each other and don't quite line up.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice and clean, but I think some of the details need working on. The tabs look a bit jagged and the imagery and spacing could be a little better.

Nice work though.. it's easy to get around and use.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, am looking into your posts.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

More suggestions will be really helpful......

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the site is a free CSS template. I've seen it before... I'd switch up the colors some to make it a bit more different. There is also way to much white space.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zealivity5 View Post
    ...There is also way to much white space.
    I've actually never heard anyone say that before, and I completely disagree with you. If he starts trying to add more things, he's going to clutter the site.

I think it's really good use of whitespace.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtm32236 View Post
    I've actually never heard anyone say that before, and I completely disagree with you. If he starts trying to add more things, he's going to clutter the site.

I think it's really good use of whitespace.
    Well.....I will agree with that......

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farrhad View Post
    Well.....I will agree with that......
    White space doesn't refer to adding more content all the time. Sometimes it means adding color, backgrounds, gradients... anything to detract and focus the users attention on the content of the site.

Next time you load your site see where your eye travels initially. Is that a place you want visitors to first focus on? Might their view be refined if there was less negative space on the site?

Also, I think it is really dumb to come on a forum and ask for feedback on a website WHICH YOU DID NOT DESIGN.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still don't agree with this...

Adding color, backgrounds and gradients is only going to distract the user. The only thing that you may be able to add 'something' to is maybe a light background inside the boxes. Where else can he add 'color, background, gradients' without confusing the audience?

And it doesn't really matter where the eyes travel initially... The site's contents are clearly defined. I know that from the logo, it's a site about planes, etc. You know immediately how to navigate the site, and you know where the written content of the site is. The content of the site is grouped very well and making less whitespace isn't going to help anything.

I've made my point that I like the layout of the site, but let's note (as zealivity5 pointed out) that I'm not defending/complimenting farrhad on his layout - I'm talking about the layout in general. Someone else did a good job on this layout.

A few things that I can note is that you can get rid of the 'Welcome!'. The user knows they're on the internet, they know that they're looking at a web site, and they're there for a reason - they don't need a "welcome to my site" greeting. People used this a lot in 1996, but it's done with now.

The text is also a little too small, and the line spacing is a little weird. You should also consider writing this in full paragraphs, as opposed to having one line per paragraph. It looks a very strange as is.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey this site is looking really good i few things i would personally change:

i really cant think of anything, just keep adding content!
    oh! you have a dead image link on this page: /aircraftdata/a380.html

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey supersteve, Thanks for the comments. No dead image found ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    + Clean Site
    + Easy Navigation
    + Nice logo

- Text is too subtle, not encouraging to read.
    - For a landing page i would click backwards, you should offer what your site is about like a punch in the face on your landing page.

Overall I like the clean style, some might think its too plain but I like it just right like this; I think you need to work on one main thing which is your typography.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The navigation bar is great, I love the 3d feel in it.

I just browsed randomly into your site, and then I saw this page: /Theory/ModelAircraft.html

I liked the Idea that you might be able to get some user generated content, and that you ask for them to contact you, but why didn't you put a link in this line: "Contact Us if you wish to add some information."

I think that at least the contact us should be linked to your contact us page or to some information submission form that you might need to add to your site.

I actually bookmarked your site for further reading, as you can see in my signature, I'm dealing with Breitling watches, which are known for their aviation related models.

So if you are interested in doing something together, you can send me a message or a mail.

Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logo look nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why only Valid CSS link? is your xhtml not valid?
    The structure is very clear, and good use of whitespace
    colour scheme is excellent.
    downloads -> the table is not styled, so it doesn't fit in with the rest of the site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JREAM, thanks will look into it.

replciated, will add a link.

jcharnley, am getting the html validated.

Thank you for your replies.