SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oracle and the Web

My company is interested in developing a web application using an Oracle DB. What language(s) are used to converse between an Oracle DB and a website? Are there any good links, tutorials, etc. and books that would be helpful in going this route? Genreal information on the topic would be nice too. I know this sounds vague, but I am trying to see how feasible this would be and if I could learn it. Thanks all.

Drew
    ~Drew

There Is No Greater Joy Than Soaring High On The Wings Of Your Dreams, Except Maybe The Joy Of Watching A Dreamer Who Has Nowhere To Land But In The Ocean Of Reality.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As long as you can set the connection through ODBC or JDBC, you should be able to work with any programming language. I know Java, JSP, ASP and Coldfusion will work. I'm assuming PHP will too...
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DaveMaxwell
    I'm assuming PHP will too...
    yes PHP too ... use Google to find your info...

just search for 'oracle and perl', etc...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oracle+and+php

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a company that serves about 300,000 dynamic pages per week using several Oracle DBs in different global regions.

The site is currently COM/ASP driven, but we're in the process of moving to .NET. As was mentioned in the previous post, it doesn't matter what programming languge you plan to use to access the data as long as the language and database both support ODBC.

One great advantage of using Oracle is in their support of hierarchical data structures through the CONNECT BY and START WITH statements. SQLServer has nothing that is similar (yet).

Good luck with the install - repost if you have any specific questions. I'll do my best to check back and help out as much as I can.