User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie here, question on buying website

I sometimes read in the marketplace that people offer "12 months" paycheck or something like that. What I would like to know is it legal to pay over time? And if so, is the "paycheck" from the buyers/bidder job or the websites income that they just bought?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sites are often sold for 10 - 12 times their monthly revenue. Perhaps this is what you are referring to?

Yes, it is legal to pay over time, provided the seller agrees to it.
    Fergal Crawley (Previous Username: Proudirish.com)
    Business Advice Forum - Webmaster and Business Forum
    < Get a free link & win $5,000
    Forum Coin New World Currency

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya thats what im referring to, but is it legal to obtain the website and then pay using the website's income?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGarcia View Post
    ya thats what im referring to, but is it legal to obtain the website and then pay using the website's income?
    It may be legal, but good luck finding a seller foolish enough to accept such an absurd request like that I'd suspect if they were fine with getting revenue so slowly in monthly instalments like that they'd just keep the website and do it themselves.
    Last edited by emkay; Apr 22, 2008 at 09:11.
    eFlair Design | Premium Design Services and Web Consultation

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You and the seller enter into a contractual arrangement. If you buy through the marketplace here and don't agree otherwise, then you're agreeing to pay the purchase price up front. Some sellers may be willing, if you discuss it before making the purchase, to allow you to pay in installments. You can get the funding for these installments anywhere you wish, but you're legally liable for paying them even if the website does not produce that much in profits for you. I think you'll have a hard time getting a seller to agree to only accept the profits from the site as payments, even if they decline, as they would get that just holding the site themselves.

Into another Dimension liam_uk7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might be misreading something mate. The seller's probably aren't saying you should pay it back over 12 months, but are saying that they want the equivalent to 12 months revenue for the asking price.

This doesn't mean they'd expect you to pay it back in 12 monthly instalments, but you'd be expected to pay the money up front in one go.

I think that should explain everything, but if I'm misunderstanding your problem then let me know. Thanks.
    Function - Great Design Meets Great Functionality