SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top 5 Ruby on the Rails Web Hosts?

Top 5 Ruby on the Rails Web Hosts?

Anyone know who are the top 5 Ruby on the Rails web hosts?

I'm absolutely new to Ruby and want to set up some space somewhere to try it out.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear a lot of good things about slicehost, and hostingrails.
    I started with dreamhost, they run fcgi, its garbage for any decent sized site, in my experience.
    If you give someone a program,
    you will frustrate them for a day;
    if you teach them how to program,
    you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently using media temple, and they make deployment quite easy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Joyent Accelerator. All in all, they're pretty solid as far as hosting, although I've heard that using a shared accelerator is not the best way to go with them (or with any host, for that matter.)

I first tried out with Mediatemple (since I have a non-Rails static site with them) on a grid server and the speed was terrible. I'm not sure what Joyent's dedicated servers are like, but shared was subpar.

Obey the Purebreed trib4lmaniac's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Small Orange offer Rails hosting. Their smaller packages are pretty cheap too (from $25/yr).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're just experimenting and not putting out real sites, then a shared host like ASmallOrange or Site5 would probably be okay. I wouldn't deploy a production site on anything less than my own VPS nowadays though.

The Jellophonic Autobrain CHeeSeBLiND's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found deploying sites with ASmallOrange to be a painful process and the sites are hideously slow.
    hmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slicehost and Joyent seem to be my favourite. However I've just started supporting it for my company.

Joyent is fantastic service and their support is phenomenal!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm adding a vote for HostingRails.
    Cheap, Fast, Staff are ROR fans and very responsive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluehost is alright for very basic things but not terrific.
    "Earth smiles in flowers" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    DuskDesigns

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll post a vote for Hosting Rails as I have deployed with them. I'm just moving my own site on to Slicehost and things are going OK so far.

Slicehost is not for the faint of heart though. You have to install your web server, Ruby, Rails etc. from scratch.

Robin

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robinjfisher View Post
    Slicehost is not for the faint of heart though. You have to install your web server, Ruby, Rails etc. from scratch.
    True, although it's getting easier. They have one employee just to handle articles.slicehost.com, which runs you through much of the setup for your Rails stack. Overall, Slicehost is a pretty great option for Rails apps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.eleven2.com looks very good though I haven't tried them yet.
    What I find cool about them is that they use litespeed server, of which "word on the street" has it that its PHP and Ruby performance (it uses LSAPI) is much better than Apache.
    I'm planning to try them out pretty soon.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been experimenting with various rails hosts for about a year now. I've deployed 10 or so sites, but none of them have been huge in terms of traffic.

For development, I really like DreamHost. You can deploy lots of sites, use SVN, and it is really cheap (with the right coupons, you can get it for like $25 for the first year). I probably wouldn't use them for an important production site - I've experienced slowness and some downtime with them. Overall, not a bad deal though.

I've also used SpeedyRails, and have been pretty happy with them. They have been really reliable and are pretty easy to work with. You don't get much access to the server though - whether that is good or bad, is up to you.

On the VPS side, I've really liked SliceHost. You have to do a lot more on your own, but that is kind of fun and very educational. I've also used SilverRack. They are newer and smaller, but I've had a good experience with them so far and they are really cheap.

Lastly, I've started working with Rails Machine for a client's site that needs high uptime and an SLA. They are pricey, but if you need the uptime and SLA, they are pretty good.
    Spencer Uresk
    Rails App Hosting
    Cheap Hosting - Directory of hosting plans under $10/month!
    My blog: Tech and Java Articles

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well what i think Powweb is the best hosting service. I am using this from last one year and i am highly satisfied. It support ruby and rails and site building tools of powweb has mad development very easy.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i second ASmallOrange my experience was very bad with them.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, Slicehost just added a 4GB slice to their plans. They make it pretty easy to scale from one size to another, so it's nice to have that ability to double your resources like that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually been looking for some hosts myself for ruby on rails but most of the ones i've come across are not that good. I guess it will take time for better companies to adopt the relatively new approach.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so since I last posted (giving Joyent the thumbs up; still do) I got myself a Slicehost account. Great price, I'm paying $20 a month with no setup fee. There's an app I've got in development that I *might* decide to place on my slice at least at first, however I'm not too sure since the bandwidth and storage necessities may exceed what they provide (Joyent, for instance, provides 10 TB of bandwidth even at the very lowest price-point) seeing as it will be a very image-centric app. But we'll see. In the meantime though, I'm using it to just experiment with different environments since they've got Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon), Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) LTS, Debian 4.0 (Etch), Gentoo 2007.0, Centos 5.1, Fedora 8, Arch 2007.08 and let you scrap your system and re-image it on a whim whenever you want.

The support for Slicehost is fantastic as well; they've got an active community and tons of docs. Overall, for the ratio of price to quality, I would seriously challenge anyone to find a better host.
    http://shownd.com - Your free online design portfolio.
    http://rehashclothes.com - Swap your clothes.
    http://orpheuxdesign.com - My design studio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been on Slicehost for about a year now. I love them. I run 5 sites on the lowest slice, one of which is a podcast that has a pretty decent following. The speed is great and I've never had an issue with bandwidth. We put out ~40mb audio files every week that thousands of people download. No issues.

The only negative I've heard of Joyent was related to Twitter. Originally, Twitter used Joyent and had some pretty famous stability problems. Since their move away from Joyent, they've gotten a lot better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting no one mentioned about RailsPlayground. I think they are doing decent jobs with RubyOnRails. Atleast on shared hosting front, as that is what i have tried with them. And their support is also very responsive, their replies are pretty fast. Rates wise, i don't know if anyone beats them. Do anyone know any other good shared hosting providers. i am looking ot try one for better comparison.