SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi there, new here, advice please?

Hello everybody!

First of all; great site, happy to have stumbled upon it!
    Introduction of me; I'm a pretty fresh webdesigner (dutch but living in France); I learned my basic html, css, flash and some actionscript 3.0 skills. (I allready had my PS and Illustrator skills) So I've started working to create a portfolio (basically a lot of charity stuff for friends and family and non-profit orgs) BUT also some paying clients (Yes, miracles happen!)
    I like to work in DW or Flash to create my sites but offcourse nowadays everybody is asking for a site which they can update themselves (ie put new images and/or texts) and so now I'm wondering, should I invest more time in learning PHP or try out CMS?? I never had anything to do with either.
    So all you geniuses out there, what would you recommend??? (considering my tual clients are no computer whizzkids at all)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the CMS apps out there can become much more powerful when you know some PHP. I would recommend starting to bring up those PHP (or ASP, or Ruby, or some other programming language) skills and then applying them to a CMS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

I guess you're right; to you by any chance know a good starting place/ tutorial for php dummies??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest to go with wrox books. They are easy to understand and digest...

SitePoint Evangelist kooshin.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are many good sites that you can use to learn php, such as pixel2life.com and tizag.com .Just google '' php tutorials'' and you will get all kinds of php tutorials.