User Tag List

Thread: OpenTones.org

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow OpenTones.org

Hi, I'd be grateful if you could have a look at my site opentones.org and tell me what you think of it. I've had some issues accessing it in old versions of internet explorer - anyone else have this or can suggest why it happens?

I'd appreciate feedback on how useable the site is - do you think it will be easy for people to locate what they're looking for? I'd also appreciate it if you could test the openID login system - do you think it works ok?

I'm open to comments on any aspect of the site, but would prefer a focus on useability - constructive critisism is always the best type! Thanks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mazadillon,

I like the colours of your website, I think the green and black are a nice scheme.

I got the gist of what the site was for (downloading ringtones), but there isn't a lot of detail provided. For example, are the downloads free or do I need to pay? If they are free I would include that information on the home page.

Also, your first paragraph on the home page reads a bit funny:

'Welcome to OpenTones.org, the site provides a collection of polyphonic ringtones for mobile phones.'

I would change the punctuation to:

'Welcome to OpenTones.org. This site provides a collection of polyphonic ringtones for mobile phones.'

When I clicked to the About Us page I expected to see a lot more detail about the organisation and how it works. This is where I thought you might have the information I was looking for about how and why the site was established, what conditions were on the downloads and how the ID login works.

On the login page I would put a brief description of what OpenID is so that people don't have to click on the 'Get an OpenID' link to find out that they might already have one.

Do you have a terms and conditions section that people can click on to read your disclaimer, download/upload terms etc? I expected to see one on a site like this.

Also, are the navigation buttons at the top supposed to be highlighted with the green background when you change pages? Every page just had the home page with the green background, but I expected the green background to indicate that this was the page I was currently on.

Your contact form let me send an empty message - I would put some validation here to prevent this. To nitpick, you are missing the fullstop at the end of the sentence in the contact form.

Hope this helps, good luck with it!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the overall look, and the idea as well however it took me a second to figure out what was going on. The explanation paragraph on the front page is under the tag cloud which seems a bit awkward.

The tag cloud does make it fairly easy to find what you're looking for, though it'd be nice to see a search bar on every page rather than a link to one.

It's nice to see a decent collection of ringtones all in one place, but I question the use of polyphonic. Is there still a market for them? It *seems* like most phones have moved to an mp3 styled tone, but I could be wrong.

The other thing you want to be careful of is the copyright implications. I don't know much about that, but having users upload material for distribution could be asking for trouble.

All that said, I like the concept and the design is very simple and clean and easy to use. Hope it works out for you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ou website is simple and clear, but there is a little problem , after I click the item "stats" on top menu bar, I find the highlight is still stay in "home". In Contact webpage, I think you may add a separation text box from input client email address.

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like this site, I think it's nice and clean, simple to use and doesn't overwhelm me with extraneous annoyances. I'm not sure how you're going to monetise it, but if you are planning on keeping it add-free I think it will look beautiful. If you are going to include ads, maybe it would be an idea to put them in now (while you're getting feedback) because they often change the impression of a site.

I agree that the "About Us" page needs more info.

The only thing missing is maybe a preview button for each ringtone. I know it's easy enough to preview them but I just think it would be a nice touch.

Nice site, good luck with it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the overall look of the site, its clean and fresh. However, the tag-colour should either be moved below the welcome paragraph or to the side-bar. It is easy for fellow bloggers to recognize what it is, but there are many people that will be confused by it when they first land on your site.

Regards,
    Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice website overall with good design, I agree with CRHAYES

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the design.
    Suggestion: Put the links below the welcome text.
    Also i see no need for giving a prime location for 'stats' only webmasters will be interested.
    Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its wordpress theme anything original ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the colours, but the design is basic. You have gone ofr a web 2.0 look but you do not have a Web 2.0 logo.

I have to scroll down to understand what the site is about, so I think you could do with the intro at the top of the page.

The site is also quite slow, but all in all you have the structure and a basis of a good site.
    Adapt your business, be online!

http://www.adaptwebdesign.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design and the navigation is original. It seams to me, however, that I've seen this header and color combination too many times.