User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[LAYOUT] Equine Supplies

Gday all,
    This is a layout I modified from a CRE Loaded template trying to keep the site whitish/clean easy nav and professional. The logo is also new if you would like to chuck in a comment on that. I know there are certain rules for eCommerce sites I hope I have followed them ok. BTW can someone point me in the direction of company/person who can incorporate the end design into CRE Loaded for me? I have time on my side so any critique, nitpicky or otherwise would be great.
    Cheers and thanks
    Bobby.
    Last edited by Beasty; Apr 19, 2008 at 03:11.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the logo that you have there, and the text as well. The simple white/black colour scheme is also nice, but the layout is TOO busy.

Try moving the "Halters/Bridlers..." list down to the right column, opposite the Categories column (ie. same height). Then try moving the "Specials/Training Kits..." column below the "Halters/Bridlers..." column (or vice versa).

This will leave the top area a lot less clustered. I also think you should rework where you put your "My Home/Forum ... etc." links as well. Maybe you could try making the layout wider and adding another small column on the right side.

Its a good start, but overall the top area is just too crowded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logo looks great but try a little smaller

It's a very busy site but if you added a little more white space around the images and made the images smaller it would help tie everything in...more spacing needed everywhere

Also it might be worth trying to add a very faint background color (extremely light purple you used in the logo) for the 2 smaller columns on the side of the page. This would greatly help to break up the page and focus customers attention on the main products

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep excellent, thanks guys I think you are on the money there. De-busy things a bit and I definately like the idea of the very light color to differentiate the columns..I will go ahead and do that.
    Cheers
    Bobby

SitePoint Enthusiast theburlster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I think the primary problem with it, is that with an entirely white background throughout there is no differentiation between columns which is probably why it feels busy.

The idea of a bit of a background colour on certain bits, or even just a border round elements in the side columns might just break it up a bit.

Otherwise it looks really good. It purely is (in my opinion) the white background throughout that is making the sections bleed in to one another thus giving it that busy feel.

Cheers,

John
    The Burlster of www.burlster.com fame

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'm not into the 3-column layout for sites. The idea in mind is that the middle column will have focus, but if you subjectively put yourself in your users mind they might get distracted by all the stuff going on left/right.

Terms/Conditions/etc, these auxilary elements I would like to see somewhere down in the footer for some reason.

That logo. I think it's really awesome!

It's really busy as some of the others said. You might try moving to a 960px wide layout. I would try consolidating the navigation possibly to make things easier to find for the users.

I think what you have here is a good start, I would just think about playing with the grid a bit more, maybe moving to a side column nav, or one up top, instead of breaking it apart.