SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want no active word wrap

so Im not sure if active word wrap is the right term but here is what I want,

I have my text inside divs on my page and when you grab the browser window and resize it, if the window goes below my minimum size my text starts to move around the page such as how wikipedia rearanges itself as the window is resized, what i want is for my page to retain the width of the div's such as the content on this site

http://blog.stchur.com/2007/02/22/em...ozillafirefox/

i think this is much more attractive and would love to have the look for my site

Thanks for the help

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll want to set a a fixed with or min-width on whatever element contains the rest - in most layouts, there's a container div that holds everything else. Without seeing your site, it's hard to be more specific.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my divs do have a width, do they need a max and min so that they stay that way, if so, I would need to set the max and min the same so the text never adjusts right?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Max and min widths allow flexibility up to or down to each figure so that's not what you want. As mentioned - applying a set width to the layout will create a fixed width site. The text will still be able to increase or decrease in size within that width though if a user changes their browser preferences.

If a user increases the font size on the site then the text will increase and your layout will adjust or break trying. So while you can get away with a fixed width on a page (if you're careful), you can't get away with a fixed height or no text-wrapping at all.

You'll need to show us your site for us to help you more.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the website is maddenbain.890m.com

hopefully you guys can help because all I'm getting from you now is that divs need a fixed width but thats what i already have

thanks in advance

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    problem solved

heres the fix for anyone with the same problem

put this in you div style
    overflow: hidden;