SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please Critique My ReDesign

I just finished a complete redesign of my wordpress blog. I was inspired by my shower curtain of all things.

Please lay all your critiques and comments on me as they are all helpful. Address readability, whether you'd come back to the site, and all design elements. Thanks guys!

http://www.JustinCox.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow! It's so colorful and merry!!

But Frankly speaking I couldn't make myself concentrate on the information presented on the site because these bright colors drawn my attention all time. And the main menu with the links 'About', 'Portfolio', 'Contact' and others are hardly visible.
    If you want to do something right, do it yourself!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colours are too overpowering, they work distracting. The layout and design of the blog are good, change those colours and you should be fine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think maybe if you make the background slightly more opaque it could help? I like the way the blog posts are semi-seethrough and if the background for the rest was toned down a little it might stop it distracting from the content a bit.

I don't like the links on the right being highlighted in yellow, for the tags I don't think any highlighting is nesecarry at all and for the links in the About box I would suggest using a different font colour instead of the highlight...

Apart from that it looks nice and fresh - I really like the simple and neat top bar, also props to the facebook status implementation!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said above the colors are distracting. They stop me from reading your content and also hurt my eyes.

Also put the 'older stuff' link in the white box.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll play with the sidebar link color and toning down the background colors later this evening if I can find some time.

I'm not really sure why it's not displaying properly in Firefox 2. I've validated both code and CSS and all is good, but it's all goofed up for some reason.

Any other design thoughts? It's all very helpful. Thank you.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've muted the background and fixed the goofy code in Firefox 2, thanks to help in another thread. I've worked a bit with sidebar link colors but haven't come to anything I've wanted to keep. Does the new, muted stripe pattern improve the site readability without sacrificing the overall design?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shower curtain's nice, opaque white behind text was the right thing to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    colors aren't doing it, other than that page structure. when I first went to this site I didn't want to read the blog (nothing personal) but did it seem to anyone else that way? Its not that I didn't want to read it it's more of how it was set up that made me not care, but I don't know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colours are good and bad. I think you could tone it down a bit and reduce the amount of colours you use. Also the pictures on your page are too big, you need to lead the audience to your content.

Try making the home page less busy and drawing the users to your latest content.
    Adapt your business, be online!

http://www.adaptwebdesign.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi your re-design looks pretty good, but there are some minor things you could fix, but that's just a suggestion.

1. The bottom of your right sidebar windows don't have rounded corners.
    2. Give some padding-left on your article image.
    3 Older stuff link at the bottom of your page looks a bit weird.

I'm using firefox

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As vidal pointed out, your sidebar boxes need rounded corners @ the bottom. Your entries need it as well. It's slightly weird without them.

The overall padding also needs to be adjusted. The entry copy is a little hard to read, as it does not have padding on the left/right.

If you were to subdue the background it would really help the over all readability.

I think your content is great. Good work

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vidal View Post
    I'm using firefox
    For some reason the CSS is borked in Firefox 2. It looks great in Firefox 3, Safari, etc... but not 2. I haven't been able to figure out why.

Thanks for the continuing comments, they are really helpful!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design overall. I would make a couple of changes, though. Firstly, I would redo the header. As it is it looks like the space above your page content is empty, the logo does not fit in well. Also, I would make the whole template a bit wider.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a few similar designs but I really like it. Overall, it is a lot different that a lot of blogs out there.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit different to the standard blog, which is a good thing. It stands out, and you've got a lot of interesting content on the site too. I like the cork board effect, and the way you have the sticky tape down at the bottom of the page. Looks like a good effect to me. The one thing I'd change is to add some padding around the 'about justin cox' note in the top right, as it looks a bit strange how it's all crammed up to the edges of the note. That's a small point though.