User Tag List

Thread: iis

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question iis

I'm trying to host a website with iis on an extra computer in my home. I have iis installed and running with a few test pages in the wwwroot folder.
    The ip address for that computer is linked up to a name through www.no-ip.com....it's working fine with my ftp site (not running through iis).
    When I type the address on any of the computers in my LAN, I get the correct page, but when someone tries to access them outside of my house, they get an error message...404 I think.
    Is there a setting in iis that I am overlooking? I've gone through all the properties pages and settings, and everything 'looks' OK, but it's all new to me.

Any suggestions?
    I've asked everyone I know, and read all the help files I could find...
    Thank you for your time...
    Chris
    ............also, there is a .jpg on the page that cannot be seen, even though the pic is in the same folder as the html pages, and in a folder called 'images' in the wwwroot folder. I can see the pic when I open the html file normally, but not when I access the page through IE by typing the address (in the LAN).
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: iis

I've asked everyone I know, and read all the help files I could find...
    Microsoft has HELP files?

Chris, I am not going to be any help on the first question but I may have a suggestion for your second (.jpg) problem.

The difference between displaying an html file in a browser by selecting the file directly and by referencing it via the server (localhost) is of course that in the latter, any server-side commands are executed before the HTML is sent to the browser.

Something is most likely happening on the server in this specific case.

The easiest way to trap it is to view the source code (from the browser) when you reference the file directly and when you reference it via the server. Any differences would then point you in the direction of the problem area.

Hope this helps.
    Bill Conté [Protected by Psalm 91]
    Web Mechanix
    Growing OLD is Mandatory - Growing UP is Optional!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have resolved the jpg problem....thanks for the help!

Any ideas how to view the pages from the net?

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by christopherray
    Any ideas how to view the pages from the net?
    Not sure I understand the question ....
    Web Mechanix

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see the webpages while on the LAN in my house, but cannot access the pages via the internet. A 404 error message appears. Is it a setting in IIS, or something else?
    Thanks again!
    Chris

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what you are saying is that you can get to yourname.no-ip.com from within your LAN, but not from anywhere else?

If so, you are probably behind a NAT router. What is your no-ip.com address?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly!
    my address through no-ip.com is young.servebeer.com. This address works fine with my ftp site.
    All i have is a cable modem going through a cheap 'passive' hub to all 3 computers, and each computer has it's own ip address...not sure if the cable modem is performing NAT, or, maybe i can have more than 1 ip address with only 1 account through my isp.
    thanks for the responses!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

I am poking in the dark without a torch, but would like to find out what this problem is in case I ever come across something similar.

I connected using young.servebeer.com (and 67.8.2.197) and also got an error, although NOT a 404 error. It was a routing error.

Message reads "Cannot find server or DNS Error".

Okay, with my limited knowledge, I make the following deduction. You know that the IIS is configured correctly because it is able to serve your pages in the expected manner. You also know that nobody can access your server from outside your LAN. (If it was a 404 error, then it would have been your page that was not being connected to.) This leads me to the conclusion that the DNS or the DNS service has a problem.

To test this I would suggest that you try (from within your LAN) to connect to young.servebeer.com and see what you get. (I assume that at the moment you are using "http://localhost/" or "http://computername/ to connect to your server.) If my suspicions are correct, then you will also get the same error from within you LAN when you use the "young.servebeer.com" URL
    Web Mechanix

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I don't understand...I can access the pages while on the LAN by typing http://localhost or http://young.servebeer.com and everything works properly.
    Also, I can access the server outside the LAN with my ftp site....using the same name: ftp://young.servebeer.com
    But I cannot access the server with http://young.servebeer.com outside the LAN.
    Thanks for the help!
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bang goes that theory.

According to my housemate (he's a little more clued up than I am) your DNS service IS working correctly if you can connect to your FTP site from a remote machine.

He has another idea though. After much tracing and pinging and other unpronouncable DOS actions, he suggests that you speak to your ISP.

The thinking is this - you have probably got a deal with your ISP whereby they do not have you configured to act as an Internet Server - only as a client. You apparently need to ask them to open port 80 for you. At least discuss it with them - they will most likely know more about it than I do.

Apparently there is also an article on the website of your DNS service provider's web site regarding this. http://www.no-ip.com/tips/id/2

Adrian suggests that you rather get your ISP to unblock port 80 before going the route suggested by the article.

I hope this helps?
    Web Mechanix

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got it!!
    The problem was with the ISP blocking port 80. I followed the advice of your housemate and found he was correct. I followed the instructions on no-ip.com and switched ports. Thank you very much for your time and help. It is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will convey your thanx. Glad we could help. Now I've learned something as well.

What you'd call a win, win, win situation!

Just one problem though, I still can't access the site. I wanted to go and have a look at it and I still get the same error!
    Last edited by thespian; Mar 29, 2002 at 16:21.
    Web Mechanix

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, with no-ip's service...the url name either links to an ip address or redirects to another url (which goes to another ip address) (i think)...so i had to create another account with no-ip.com.
    ftp://young.servebeer.com goes to the ftp site (as did before)
    and http://christopher.servebeer.com goes to the website. I hope I explained it correctly.
    these are just some test pages to get it up and running first...i hope to have some real content soon.
    Thanks again!!!
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeewwwlllll!

Great to see it working.
    That you serenading your beer?
    Web Mechanix