SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with drop down navigation menu

Can anyone help me understand or point me to a good tutorial on drop down menus. Not the menu using the SELECT html statement but a menu that drops down on a mouseover event.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont think theirs such a thing, the techniques vary from developer to developer. So the most you'll find is a tutor on how to work with one that was developed by someone else. Of coarse if your asking where to find one you can download, thats another question.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for one that teaches a slow scolling downward moving menu when a mouse goes over a link or a tabe cell that is actually a combination of tricks as it were.

1 - learn your layers cause really all this is, is an onmouseover making a hidden or disabled layer visible.
    2 - The scrolling I have never worked on but I assume it would be something that would slowly incrememnt (or quickly) the height of the little menu. Making it appear to scroll.

While I know of know tutorials.

http://members.aol.com/grassblad/

For neat tricks and tips try here. He has an excellent way of explaining things and it should get you started in the right direction.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Addict mixmastermidori's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a good tutorial that I just went through: http://www.projectseven.com/tutorial...oser/index.htm.

Hope that helps,
    Midori
    Nature's Sunshine herbs and supplements

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mailstrom, I have read that layers can be done with the <layer> tag in HTML, using the layer constructor, and with style sheets and javascript. the first two are netscape 4 only I believe. So, are you meaning the style sheet route. And do you know if style sheets compatible with IE and Netscape 4-6?

mixmastermidori, your link was for Dreamweaver tools. I'm a hand coder at the time, so I'm not sure that tutorial will be good for me.

Thanks for both or your replies.

SitePoint Addict mixmastermidori's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a handcoder, too, and this was one of my first experiments with DW because I was desperate. I could send you the resulting code if you'd like. It's buggy in NS 4, but it works in everything else (of course).

Let me know,
    Midori
    Nature's Sunshine herbs and supplements

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks midori, but I have some code from various sites. But I would like to learn how to code these menus. I have been looking at The Definitive Javascript book and reading up on cascading style sheets. I think that is what is used along with Javascript. But it's quite a lot of new material to digest.