SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast sinjix_media's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<b> Instead of <strong>

ok, so i thought <strong> was used to highlight important text and <b> was used just to make something bold. i was in the practice of using <b> for aesthetic reasons and <strong> to highlight keywords in my blog posts. is that wrong?
    Regards,
    Danny Michel

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinjix_media View Post
    i was in the practice of using <b> for aesthetic reasons and <strong> to highlight keywords in my blog posts. is that wrong?
    sort of

B is fine for purely aesthetic reasons, however, STRONG should be used for strong emphasis (mild emphasis would use EM)
    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    sort of

B is fine for purely aesthetic reasons, however, STRONG should be used for strong emphasis (mild emphasis would use EM)
    that's what i thought. i'm really confused. some are saying <b> is depreciated, so use strong instead
    Regards,
    Danny Michel

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    some are saying <b> is depreciated
    they may be (inadvertently) right

however, B is ~not~ deprecated

r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think im going to stick to using strong to highlight important text, even though some say google doesn't care about it anymore. some say don't use strong too much. too confusing. you have reinforced my behavior
    Regards,
    Danny Michel

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use strong where it's semantically appropriate. This will make your copy easier to read, meaning more return visitors, more natural links, and ultimately better search engine positioning.

Use b where it's semantically appropriate, too. b should not be used for decorational purposes. Use CSS for this. Rather, b should be used where text has to be bold. I can't think of any examples just now for b, but for i, it must be used rather than CSS or em to italicize titles in bibliographic references.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    that's what i thought. i'm really confused. some are saying <b> is depreciated, so use strong instead
    <b> is not deprecated, but old-school web design where you used it every time you wanted bold text is out-of-date ... just like <table> isn't deprecated, but old-school web design where you used it for layout is out-of-date.

It's a pretty close distinction, but where you want to make text bold for strong emphasis you should use <strong>, and where you want to make it bold for stylistic effect (but without conveying any extra emphasis) you should use <b>.

To be honest, I very much doubt that Google pays any attention to the distinction, given the huuuge number of sites that use <b> when <strong> would be better (or less commonly use <strong> all the time regardless of context) ... including this very forum, and pretty much any other website with user-generated content or a CMS, because no-one will go to the trouble of creating an editor with separate buttons for <b> and <strong> ...

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to use <strong> and <b> properly - of course you should always try to use elements properly, but that's for a discussion about web design and accessibility, rather than about SEO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, pretty much what i thought. thanks guys
    Regards,
    Danny Michel