SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How big should a portfolio be?

Money's a bit tight for me lately, being a full-time student and all, so on top of my other jobs I'm looking to get back into some freelance work. Within a weekend I could create myself a nice looking website to showcase all my work, but there's just one problem.

I have only around 4-5 websites to show the user, and most of them were either for myself or for websites that do not exist any more. The rest were either SEO projects or help using automated scripts.

What I'll be looking to do over this week is churn out a few nice designs to add into this portfolio, then to get back into the game of making websites for people. How many websites should I be showcasing in my portfolio? If you were a prospective client how many would you be looking for? Also, would site availability be an issue?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i think u must just help a few people in small matters and then add the links in ur port folio, it will save ur time and also give u big folio
    Last edited by web67; Apr 15, 2008 at 19:47.
    Keep Up to date about everthing Website Flipping
    Find out how to same thousands on your Mortgage Broker fees.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think quality over quantity, but by the same token if I was looking at a web developer's site and there was only one portfolio site I would wonder why (and assume a lack of experience).

If you don't have any sites you have built that you are happy to have in your portfolio I would be inclined to not actually have a portfolio page to start with, and concentrate on creating yourself a nice site (which will be a testament to your skills anyway).

Some may disagree, but I think it would be better not to have a portfolio online than to have one you aren't happy with just for the sake of having one.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably best to elaborate on what I have at the moment.

I have available to me a vBulletin skin I created back when vB2 was all the rage, but that could just go down as a general design. I also have the design (coded) for the previous website I made, and the design for my previous portfolio. The rest of my work has gone into either back-end, SEO or offline stuff. I may have some older stuff and examples of some of my graphical capabilities, but other than that that's about it. In a few days I will also have a website for an 'online book shop' I created for university (top marks).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think quality over quantity
    well said!
    Last edited by web67; Apr 15, 2008 at 19:47.
    Keep Up to date about everthing Website Flipping
    Find out how to same thousands on your Mortgage Broker fees.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as quality goes I believe these websites are all of high quality. The forum skin I created was fantastic and really went down well with those who frequented the website. Alas, before I could release the general skin vBulletin jumped to vB3 and it became almost useless. The website was forced to go under after hacking problems as well, so all I have left of it is the design I created.

My other designs are also of pretty good quality, and I would definitely not have a problem with placing them in my portfolio. For me, it's less of a quality matter and more of a 'even if I had hundreds, how many should I show off?' issue. Some portfolio websites have hundreds whilst some big ones only show their most recent or best works. I only have a few to choose from, but how many should I have in a portfolio?