SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking for some possibly life changing advice...

Hey There! I'm looking for some possibly life changing advice, so I'd greatly appreciate it if you could read my post and offer whatever thoughts you may have. Thanks in advance!

Let me give you a quick run down on my life.

I'm 20. After high-school I went to university for graphic design, but hating it, I dropped out after only the first year. For the next two years [to present], I've worked as a freelance web-designer. Now I'm thinking about the future. Freelance is unstable. I'd like to find work with a studio, but I have no idea how, where to begin, or whether I am qualified or skilled enough.

I'll link you to my portfolio so you can keep it in mind as you read the rest.
    www.skywide.net

My question to you is: How does one go about finding their first full-time graphic design job?

I have no full-time working experience. My resume consists of a scattering of freelance positions with a variety of individuals, organizations, and a few running overflow agreements with some local studios. I do have a few strong references.

Is it generally accepted that studios/organizations only hire people who've completed university or college programs?

Perhaps I need to do some sort of internship?

Please take a look at my website and offer honest feedback. Do I even stand a chance? Is my portfolio varied enough? Is it what employers are looking for?

Really, whatever advice you have to give would probably be helpful.

I have little interest in going back to university to complete my design degree [citing reasons such as insane tuition costs, lack of actual learning.], but it is an option...

Thanks,
    Blake

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want to work for a company full-time, start with an internship or apprenticeship. But you're 20 and you already seem to be giving up at school, your own business, etc.; I don't get that. This is the time of your life where you can fail repeatedly until you find something you excel at with minimal impact on your future, so I suggest that instead of succumbing so quickly to the siren song of 9-5 and 401Ks and 3% annual raises if you're really really good.

I'm not gonna get into your portfolio because reviews go in another forum.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Hi Blake,
    I've been in your shoes... I graduated with an architecture degree 12 years ago and freelanced for a couple of years. When it came to looking for full time work I was in exactly your position. What I did was canvassed absolutely everyone in the city. (Well, that's a slight exaggeration). I put together a portfolio and dropped it at every office that I was interested in working at. I then followed up with phonecalls. I got several positive responses and then a job. People were impressed with my dedication to finding work more than with my portfolio. If you show people that you are prepared to work hard for what you want, you're half way there.

It would be a whole lot easier for you to do something similar. You can just email your portfolio out. The quality of your work looks great (from a very quick look) so I'm sure you'll generate some interest.

Good luck!

(As it turns out I only worked as an architect for another year before being lured into the world of computers.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    If you want to work for a company full-time, start with an internship or apprenticeship. But you're 20 and you already seem to be giving up at school, your own business, etc.; I don't get that. This is the time of your life where you can fail repeatedly until you find something you excel at with minimal impact on your future, so I suggest that instead of succumbing so quickly to the siren song of 9-5 and 401Ks and 3% annual raises if you're really really good.

I'm not gonna get into your portfolio because reviews go in another forum.
    I'm not actually interested in working full-time anytime soon. Ideally I'd like to continue working freelance etc, perhaps start my own business with a few associates.

My main reason for posting this thread is because I'm interested in hearing what other people have experienced, and where it took them. I'm looking for a little sense of security so I can say to myself, if the business doesn't work out, at least I can find a 9-5 despite my lack of a formal design education.

Basically I don't want to find myself in a situation where I can't find full-time work, despite my skill, for a lack of formal education.

Your comment on my portfolio sounds a bit ominous. I guess I'll post a thread in the review section as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    (As it turns out I only worked as an architect for another year before being lured into the world of computers.)
    Damned pedophiles

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go out get a job that you think that suits you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude! I just heard a radio commercial and it
    sounded like something you might want to look into.

Just go to: http://www.50kaMonth.com
    These guys make $35,000 a week (giver 'er take...)