SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting discussion! in my own experience I've found that moving to an office really works if you move to an office in the "right" location, otherwise you may as well not bother and save the money. Our company set up office in a dodgier part of town and toiled away for a year or so, of course, the rent was low. We made a decision to move into an office right smack bang in an area renowned as a prime business location and although it meant a rent increase of several hundred percent, the work we were suddenly able to attract more than compensated for it and we have actually ended up much better off, to the extent that our then team of 3 has become a 4 memeber team and will soon require to become a 5 member team just to keep the workload manageable.

Of course, our situations may not be the same but there are a few things to think about here...one is the (very important) seporation of work and life, the other is client confidence (if they can visit your office they have faith that you're a "propper" company and not some teenager in his bedroom, networking opportunities arise if you're in a shared building, it's amazing the work you can get just by having a quick chat with the people around about you....i suppose overall, you have a hesitancy to spent 400 - 500 per month....look at it this way, the "right" office should help you attract work many times that number...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah very good points. But I guess it all goes back also to a previous poster who said it's about working out what you want from your company... Your business plan... At the moment we have more than enough work, so moving to a location where we could get more would probably just stress me out more! Lol. Also we're not looking to expand at the moment, and quite happy just getting good clients and providing a high quality service.

I've come across other companies that have grown really fast and basically take on huge loads of work then deliver crap to their clients, often late! That's really not how we want to be. Small, flexible and high quality. So with that in mind, getting an office space really isn't necessary at the moment, and saving up for a bigger house to work in sounds like a good plan.

Having said that, the work/life balance thing is something I'm very aware of, which is actually why we both make a real effort to get out and work in cafe's, pubs, etc and I've infact just joined a gym!

Maybe in the future we will look to expand, take on employees and all that liability, stress and tax. But for the time being I want to establish ourselves as a good company offering a great service at competative prices and keep it flexible with low overheads.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked for a company that had a room in an office suite. It was essentially a building with 10 or so small two person offices inside of it (all sealed off from each other). They had shared amenities, a conference room and parking.

It was great for them as it was a small operation, and for a small rent figure, it was enough office to be taken seriously, but not too big as to be a waste of space.

I would look into some sort of office suite setup to get an idea for working away from home.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larkin View Post
    I've come across other companies that have grown really fast and basically take on huge loads of work then deliver crap to their clients, often late! That's really not how we want to be. Small, flexible and high quality. So with that in mind, getting an office space really isn't necessary at the moment, and saving up for a bigger house to work in sounds like a good plan.
    This really has nothing to do with having, or not having an office and is just as common for freelancers, 1-2 man companies as it is for agencies employing 50 staff, this is project management....one of THE most important things to get right.

It sounds like you have already decided to work from home/pub/cafe and it sounds as though you are busy enough at the moment so I wish you well.