User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to enter content into site?

My plan is the handcode all HTML/CSS.

What about content, such as large sections of text. Its still a messy affair when inputting this into the text file.

Do most of you guys just stay with the text editor or do you use other tools?

I know that using Dreamweaver to build your code is not recommend. What if I handcode all layout and style elements first and then input the content in Design view, will DW still mess with the code?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use DW for all my coding. Set up correctly it doesn't touch your code and can make things easier as far as automatically uploading your files to your server when you save them.

As for the content, if you're going to be updating content regularly I would consider a CMS. You could write something yourself easily enough with a little PHP if necessary or you could look at some of the big ones like Drupal or Joombla.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress can also be utilised as a simple CMS, it's easier to use than Drupal while it's not as rigid as Joomla.

With regards to Dreamweaver, another way would be to use a few simple php include functions and have your content in separate files, no messing around with the rest of it. You won't get a WYSIWYG feel in the design view, more a "what you see is what you mean" feel. I've done that with one of my clients where I had to use ASP and didn't have a CMS available.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I'd rather not use DreamWeaver, saves me learning a new app.

Will look into the php include idea, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then why did you mention it? I'm a bit confused here.
    Dan G

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use HTML Beauty but any syntax highlighter is good, and much better than notepad or something like that. They often have code snippets, html/cc/etc references and project management functions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using Dreamweaver. It saves my life. It has lots of feature. I can do %95 of things at Dreamweaver. I have only one problem. I don't know how to use old style coding at Dreamweaver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwdow View Post
    I am using Dreamweaver. It saves my life. It has lots of feature. I can do %95 of things at Dreamweaver. I have only one problem. I don't know how to use old style coding at Dreamweaver
    Off Topic:

this is going off-topic from the original question, but go to view > code view, and there it is, if that wasn't your question or the solution to your question, consider opening a new thread and provide some more details and I'm sure you find someone who can help you
    Dan G

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwdow View Post

'Old style coding with Dreamweaver?' Just turn off the design view and work directly into the code in either the 'full' code view or 'split-page' view. They're little buttons that should be in the top left of your interface - or simply use the 'View' main menu to move from one viewing style to another....
    http://www.clickspiration.com

compare and contrast online advertising programs

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk View Post
    Then why did you mention it? I'm a bit confused here.
    I am looking for the best method/tool and I was just using DW as an example. I am interested in it if it helps me do the job.

Going slightly off here, taking design view out of the equation what benefits does DW give me over a text editor?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggsfly View Post
    I use DW for all my coding. Set up correctly it doesn't touch your code and can make things easier as far as automatically uploading your files to your server when you save them.

As for the content, if you're going to be updating content regularly I would consider a CMS. You could write something yourself easily enough with a little PHP if necessary or you could look at some of the big ones like Drupal or Joombla.
    Please elaborate on setting up DW this way

I guess a CMS might suit my needs, are they completely editable in terms of style and layout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebDonkey View Post
    I am looking for the best method/tool and I was just using DW as an example. I am interested in it if it helps me do the job.

Going slightly off here, taking design view out of the equation what benefits does DW give me over a text editor?
    DW comes with a nice FTP client, has a code snippet library, syntax highlighting, auto complete for quite a few things, and a few other neat features.

I guess a CMS might suit my needs, are they completely editable in terms of style and layout?
    Depends on the CMS. Drupal gives you complete control over everything but you've got to invest a considerable amount of time to learn all the ins and outs.

I've found that Joomla is more restrictive but this might've changed with version 1.5.
    Dan G

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i dont know why people think joomla as difficuly! its the easiest in my opinion!
    Last edited by web67; Apr 15, 2008 at 20:08.
    Keep Up to date about everthing Website Flipping
    Find out how to same thousands on your Mortgage Broker fees.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original question implied they want to split content and design 100%. You can't do this with Dreamweaver and it's a fundamental these days.
    With most good CMS software you can apply a new template and instantly change the design so you can hand code these and then apply them to hundreds of pages.
    DW has templates but gives only partial separation.
    PC based DB to HTML parsing engines are can be even more flexible than online CMS systems. Here you just have content in a database and parse it into lots of pages using special placement tags. It keeps the templates and pages simple and makes changes easy and fast.