SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music on a website is so 1996....

Hello All:

After trying to convince someone that bg music on an html site with no way to shut it off is a big no no... they still wanted it. *sigh...

Well, I have tried a few options however this one thing escapes my at the moment and I was not sure how to do this.

How do you in an static HTML site get the song to continuously play throughout the site.

I tried putting it in the php include header I have however, when the page goes to a new page or reloads, the song starts again.

Any thoughts or advice would be great.

PM
    Regards,

P

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way is to make the entire site frameset, like they did in 1996, with the music player in a 0/1 pixel tall frame.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or in a separate window: a pop up for example. a pop up music/sound controler; play, stop, pause, rewind, volume etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys for all your help with this,

I think I would rather tell the web site owner it cannot be done. Creating a frameset might not be good being I am using php for most of the site with includes.

As far as a pop up, they are generally closed or blocked now a days.

Thanks though for picking at this with me,

Paul
    Regards,

P

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could always tell them that using a frameset is the only way to do it and that the new browsers about to be released no longer support framesets because they went out of fashion in 1996 and there are now better ways of doing all of the things that were worth doing with framesets and background music drives people away from web sites so fast that no one does that any more since simply deleting the site completely is a much easier way of achieving the same result.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    You could always tell them that using a frameset is the only way to do it and that the new browsers about to be released no longer support framesets because they went out of fashion in 1996 and there are now better ways of doing all of the things that were worth doing with framesets and background music drives people away from web sites so fast that no one does that any more since simply deleting the site completely is a much easier way of achieving the same result.
    Instead of this, you could just mention that background music the way they want it is no longer supported by a majority of browsers.

The reason being is background music results quite often in a a bad user experience, particularly because a user cannot turn it off and is forced to listen to it, then he/she simply leaves the website, more reasons: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-co...snt-need-music

And I would recommend using something along the lines of: http://www.1pixelout.net/2007/01/27/...rdpress-sites/
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again guys for the advice, I will use those points to prove my case.

PM
    Regards,

P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why dont you use flash? and Create somethng like This artist has http://www.hope-music.com/
    wherever the user scrolls the the user has the ability to be able to change the song to hes or her liking and its easy for Navigating rathen then have Million Pop Up windows etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while that is pretty cool, the site is already built and I am not looking to start over and start adding iframes.

I was just asked to make a few changes so, I am just leaving it.

Thanks for the advice on that though.
    Regards,

P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if this is a personal site do what they said above with the frames. but if it's a business site you should forget it. people like to be able to control whether they listen to music or not.