SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Working on a redesign, need some input

A few of ya'll were nice enough to look at the current version of my website about a week ago and the ideas got me thinking it was time for a redesign.

I've got a basic template complete. There is no content yey as I'm deciding how to focus things a little better, but I'm hungry for some feedback on the layout. Please take a look at http://wwwtest.chriswiegman.us and let me know what you thing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggsfly View Post
    A few of ya'll were nice enough to look at the current version of my website about a week ago and the ideas got me thinking it was time for a redesign.

I've got a basic template complete. There is no content yey as I'm deciding how to focus things a little better, but I'm hungry for some feedback on the layout. Please take a look at http://wwwtest.chriswiegman.us and let me know what you thing.
    Dead links

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple and Clean

I think its an attractive clean design, though its hard to review with no content since we can't see what the actual pages will look like and how they are laid out. The links are all dead and I'm not sure you need the W3C images at the bottom. Overall, the design is good though.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I realize the content isn't there yet. I'm still figuring out how and what I want to put on there. My biggest concern right now is the general look and feel including colors,etc.

I wasn't sure I liked the W3C images either, but for now I'm going with them as they are but one indication that I live up to the standards I claim to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like the w3c validation images at the bottom. I like a smaller, less conspicuous size though. Once your page is filled with content, they should not stick out as bad. But, like you said it lets others know you're coding to standards and they make it convenient to check that fact.

Did w3c provide the faded icons or did you post process them? If you post processed them, you might also try sizing them down some.

Overall your template looks clean and appealing to me.
    "Three components make an entrepreneur:
    the person, the idea, and the resources to make it happen."
    Anita Roddick ~British entrepreneur
    dbr founder of: ProximityCast.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I toned them down. I think you're right about shrinking them though and I'll update that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dbr View Post
    I personally like the w3c validation images at the bottom. I like a smaller, less conspicuous size though. Once your page is filled with content, they should not stick out as bad. But, like you said it lets others know you're coding to standards and they make it convenient to check that fact.

Did w3c provide the faded icons or did you post process them? If you post processed them, you might also try sizing them down some.

Overall your template looks clean and appealing to me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the background color should be changed.. it is too strong for the eyes!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for a lighter background colour.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the background colour. Also, the effects you have on the header text and links (bevel or emboss I think?) make it look blurred. I think if you got rid of those effects it would make the text much more crisp and attractive.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would either change the background color or that blue header color, they don't play well together.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the input so far. Based largely on the input from this thread I've reworked the header quite extensively. Keep it coming!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris,

You know the content bg sticks out (right/left) past the header, you should consider making this pixel perfect.

I don't think you need the beveled header, having it flat might look better. It makes your website look like an "old style"

Do you care for your logo? It could be way better than what it is right now, I think the colour should blend with your website colour theme, right now it just looks like something of an after thought "oh let me stick my logo, before I forget"

Goodluck.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the content bg width was intentional. I do agree on the logo though. I was thinking that it didn't quite fit myself, and hearing it from elsewhere confirms it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is looking a lot better so far. I still think that the effects on the header text make it look fuzzy/blurred slightly.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your link doesn't work. I tried a few combinations, taking the www out etc and couldn't get your content.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site is down, nothing to review.