SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PHP editors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liker to use Programmer Studio. It's not really developed for PHP but it does have features for php. The good thing about it is that i can edit files straight from my server and it saves all my changes directly on the files on the server. Plus its god cool markup colours too.

-rsdl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I favor vim, quick featurefull and a very low footprint.
    Bjarte S Karlsen
    Roleplayer and webdeveloper with a high nerd factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Winsyntax. It's small, fast and simple. Also there is the feature you've never seen before (I bet!). It's the brackets highlighting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me a good editor is *vewy* important: it's the kind of program that I use *all* the time (like my browser).
    I've been looking quite some years after a decent editor I'd feel comfortable with.
    It had to have some specific requirements:
    - windows prg. (Still use Win for my desktop)
    - fast
    - stable
    - not too bloat
    - syntax highlightening
    - macros
    - plugins for highlighters etc...
    - Integrated file browser
    - multiple documents
    - easy handling of projects
    - search & replace (in multiple documents or selections of document if needed)
    - regex search & replace
    - programmable shortcuts, macros, auto-completion and document templates (aiai 'templates' ;-) ).
    - auto-indentation
    - 'split' view for handling large files
    - clipboard

There maybe other reasons I had at the time, but can't remember them right now ;-)

Anyway, I've tried many editors:
    I started out with Notepad, like many I suppose, but quickly classified that as 'unusable':
    No colors (makes me nervous, can't see typo's, etc)
    Couldn't handle big files at the time (still has issues with it)
    no multiple documents
    search & replace functionality is a laugh.
    I must say, I do not understand people advocating it's use as a coder's editor. No colors make Been go gaga. Also, have you ever seen a text editor that uses an italic font as it's default (win2k)?? Nuts! I say ;-)

Via tucows, download.com and similar sites, I came across stuff like TextPad, EditPlus, UltraEdit, HTML-Kit, AceFreeHTML, phpEdit, ...
    I liked TextPad a lot, but was not too happy with the interface, also the filebrowser wasn't able to browse network shares where no drive letter was defined for.

Worked a long time with AceFreeHTML, up to the point they didn't support the free version anymore and all in all, it was very HTML-oriented.
    I've heard they are now continuing to distribute the free version, but that it isn't that good anymore (but that's someone else's opninion ...)
    Then I switched to HTML-Kit, which I liked, but then it screwed up two very important script files that were on a network share (I saved them, and they just weren't there anymore, scary...). Threw it away immediately.

And so my search continued, in the end, I had 3 'contenders' that remained: TextPad, UltraEdit and EditPlus, but being honest, I ingnored TextPad for not liking the interface, sometimes you've got to be hard in making a decision.
    Worked with UtraEdit and EditPlus side by side for a long time (couple of months, which is way beyond the trial period, I know, but I like to be sure ...), until UtraEdit screwed up my indentation on a file while doing some tabs<>spaces conversions. It bummed me out...
    Stayed with EditPlus for a few weeks more, forked out the $30, and I must say I'm very happy with it;
    It does everything I want it to do, the way I want the editor to do it, it has never crashed on me once or behaved strangely, I absolutely like it!

I realize that not all of my arguments are completely justified, but then an editor is a very personal and subjective item I guess, I know people who absolutely swear by TextPad or UltraEdit or whatever (I don't know any that swear by Notepad though ;-) ), and I can't blame them really, for all I know, it was my miss-use of the programs that lead to the so-called weird behavior...

On linux, which I use as my preferred server-OS, I'm quite happy with vim (don't use X on my servers) ;-)
    It has an interface that takes some getting used to, but it's fast, it's powerful, it does colors, mdi, regex, more than enough for quick edit&repair jobs...

I use Winsyntax. It's small, fast and simple. Also there is the feature you've never seen before (I bet!). It's the brackets highlighting!
    Used that too for a while, if I recall correctly it was a download-tip in a sitepoint newsletter once. But stopped using it, because it didn't support a lot of the features I wanted in an editor, but yes it's small and simple, a little too much for my taste.
    But that makes that I have seen the feature before, so I guess I'm the first winner of the bet ;-)
    btw, when an editor does a good auto-completion and -indentation, I can't imagine why someone should need brackets highlightening ? But then again, my imagination sometimes lets me down ;-)
    Per
    Everything
    works on a PowerPoint slide

does not play well with others frezno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika
    Also there is the feature you've never seen before (I bet!). It's the brackets highlighting!
    you may try Zend Studio to find this as well
    We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.
    I'm Pentium of Borg.Division is futile.Prepare to be approximated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys. I was sure. But I turned out to be wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is something interesting someone has just said to me:

by the way, working with notepad all the time is not a bad thing after all. I mean, people who use syntax highlight don't really make parse errors because of the highlighting, and notepad people don't really make them, because they get used to not-make them =)