User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PHP editors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MarekS
    Strange – no one has mentioned the Maguma Studio for PHP.
    Yeah, I wanted to mention this, too. I'd been using textpad. Someone told me that magma had a free download. The thing I like about it is when writing classes, it will prompt you with existing properties and methods available to you. Less typing!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I still swear by phpEdit (oops, hang on a mo, I meant I still swear at phpEdit)

When it's working and running bug-free it is a wonderful application with all the big features. Seems to have issues with moz running in the background though, 'specially when moz is tabbed up to the hilt. Still, cannot complain too much about something that's free.
    teckis - that's news to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phped is really nice.

even before nushpere bought it. i have tried the 3.0 and 3.1 trials of it and was very impressed. it has a feature that has all the php functions so when your typing a list pops up and searches on what you type and it also tells you the parameter list for the function.

but for the $299 price it isn't worth it.

currently i am using editplus and it is sufficient for my needs but i realllly like the phped...except for the price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MarekS for the link. I'm going to test it.
    Julian D. Muņoz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ghandi
    phped is really nice.

even before nushpere bought it. i have tried the 3.0 and 3.1 trials of it and was very impressed. it has a feature that has all the php functions so when your typing a list pops up and searches on what you type and it also tells you the parameter list for the function.

but for the $299 price it isn't worth it.

currently i am using editplus and it is sufficient for my needs but i realllly like the phped...except for the price.
    I tried it and I didn't like it. Well... it's good but it has many annoying bugs So I dropped it.
    Julian D. Muņoz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The development version of phpEd is looking quite promising, but I'll wait until its finalised before trying to use it.
    THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW ARE OLD AND MAY BE INACCURATE.
    THIS INSTALL METHOD IS NOT RECOMMENDED, IT MAY RUN
    OVER YOUR DOG. <-- MediaWiki installation guide

does not play well with others frezno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    real programmers use edlin

I'm using Zend 2.5 in combination with HTML-Kit. One has features i'm missing with the other and vice versa).

Another very good choice would be the free Weaverslave. It really rocks. Unfortunately for those guys of you whose german is a little rusty the site is mostly in german although there's an english version of the programm.
    We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.
    I'm Pentium of Borg.Division is futile.Prepare to be approximated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

emacs

I haven't seen anyone say anything about emacs.
    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html

It's extremely powerful. I wouldn't use anything else.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I searched for years to find the perfect PHP editor and I may have found it. Try Eclipse with this PHP plugin. I like it because:

* It's simple
    * I like the editor
    * Everything's done in projects
    * Syntax highlighting
    * Hover tags describing functions
    * Class outlines
    * Function outlines
    * Built in debugging
    * Cross platform
    * 100% free

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, I tried Eclipse with that plugin.

Highlighting never worked properly
    Not very configurable
    The editor has bollock all features
    Buggy

Eclipse works fantastic with Java. But with everything else it just seems like an almighty cludge that never really matches the capabilities of the Java stuff.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which version did you use?

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Phil.Roberts. I used the newest Eclipse Version with the newest JDK 1.4.01 and the newest PHP plugin and it it really didn't work well. All the things you like when editing Java files such as entering "." to pop up several completions don't work for PHP.

I currently use jEdit for PHP and sometimes Vim. I tried Xemacs with the PHP plugin but it did not work properly. I only Xemacs for LaTeX editing ;-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read all of the suggestions on this topic, and while I must admit to have used a number of different editors over the years, I've given up with using editors like Notepad (not flexible enough), and Zend Studio (Chinese Water torture is an understatement on Win32).

Homesite was, for a long time my preferred editor of choice, but now I use Dreamweaver MX for RAD development. At the end of the day, we all want different things, but the way I see it, is if I can simplify the 'chores' of development (db integration etc) I can really concentrate on the real guts of my project. Most of the time, simple sites for clients are done in hours, rather than days (or longer), and I think I spend most of the time of a project now collaborating with the client, and working out the page layout. Once all that's done, it's plain sailing.

I started originally with Dreamweaver, then moved to Dreamweaver UltraDev 4, but was disappointed with the lack of PHP Support, so I became a contributing developer in a project called PHAkT, which provided support for PHP development. I guess the guys at MM took note, as PHP is now natively supported in Dreamweaver MX, and to tell you the truth I wouldn't use anything else now.

It's got all the benefits of Homesite (Code Insight, etc) as Homesite has now been integrated with the IDE, so switch into code view, and I've got Code Insight, PHP Syntax tooltips, the works. Add on top of that the fact that you can create re-usable code in minutes with the extensibility layer, and you've really got a piece of software here that's hard to beat.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking anyone's choices here. I just happened to notice that Dreamweaver has been overlooked, so wanted to put the record straight.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Dreamweaver MX

I thought I`d put a word in for Dreamweaver MX here, as it hasn`t had much of a mention...

To me its definately the best and most user friendly program for working with PHP code. The syntax coloring feature makes it easy to track down errors in the code, and the code hints are invaluable when it comes to PHP hand coding, as you`re shown the parameters etc a command uses as you type it, so you don`t have to keep consulting the PHP manual.

Although common code can easily be applied using the PHP extensions, I tend to use it mainly for hand coding PHP, and its the best editor i`ve come across. The snippets panel makes life much easier, as common code can be catalogued and stored, and inserted straight into your page.

Although you can hand code PHP in Notepad, once you`ve used all the time saving features in Dreamweaver MX, you won`t want to switch back

Try downloading and installing the free 30 day trial of Dreamweaver MX, available from the Macromedia site at http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/.
    Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: PHP Web Development
    Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Advanced PHP Web Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to download and install Zend Studio, PHP Coder Pro, Maguma Studio. I already had EditPlus installed and I have used both Soysal PHPed and NuSphere PHPed.

I would have to say Zend Studio is the best of those.

My reasons for saying so:

* Nice easy to use interface.
    * Traversable FTP
    * Good Debugging
    * Syntax Highlighting
    * Easy Projects
    * Extensive function list with parameters
    * Function list while typing

My only problem with it would be the $195 USD price tag.

NuSphere PHPed is nice. Zend looks very similar plus it is $100 dollars cheaper and I think it has a little more features and looks better. EditPlus is probably the next and I do not think I would even bother with PHP Coder Pro Maguma Studio as...well...I really don't like the UI.

if you want to try out Zend Studio it has about a 25 day trial period. http://www.zend.com/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May as well throw my experiences in here.

I've tried a number of Windows PHP editors but have yet to find one I'm happy with. Maguma studio has potential but it also has some fundamental bugs that have been in the program for way too long. Small things like it leaving a blank line at the end of every PHP file you work on causes no end of problems when working with cookies. The syntax highlighting has fundamental flaws.

Zend Studio is still way too slow to be usable. It's a lot better than the early versions were, but put it side by side against pretty much any other editor and it's just nowhere near as responsive. This is of course because it's written in Java, which also has the side effect of the making you suffer the standard standard Java UI objects (which personally I dislike - if I'm using Windows I want standard Windows UI), but each to their own. It also does some weird screen refresh things where the whole screen goes blank for brief moments. It's a pity as there are some very nice features in there.

PHPEd was my editor of choice before it became a commercial product. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but they actually gradually removed features from the freeware version before the commercial version was even announced, but it's been a while since I looked at it so I may have to check it out again. But I found it suffers the "let's try and make a really good PHP editor & IDE" problem that a lot of these programs suffer from. Make a good editor first, then add the powerful debugging stuff.

PHPCoder and PHPEdit were both "okay" last time I looked, but either lacked features or stability. Might have to give those another look as well.

Currently I'm using UltraEdit which is a great text editor but has no PHP-specific features (just syntax highlighting). My search continues .
    Last edited by tfountain; Jan 31, 2003 at 05:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topstyle Pro hasn't been mentioned once in this tread. I ran across it earlier this evening.

Any opinions on it? According to the website, version 3.10 should have syntax highlighting for PHP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if this is the website http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/index.asp

i have seen nothing on it that indicates that they have support for any type of ssincludes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going with Html-Kit as my personal choice of editor. If you download the available PHP plugins its ideal for that language as well as many others. ITs not an IDE, but in all honesty do you really need that sort of thing for PHP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody tried Visual PHP Studio 1.0? unfortunatly there website seems to have gone. I downloaded a copy through kazaa 2 minutes ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone got Extended search/replace to work as effectively in DW MX as it does in Homesite?

I needed to to an extended replace this afternoon and after several attempts with DW I opened up Homesite and got the job done straight away.

Other than that, DW MX has really come a long way in its support of php - really is darn good now and that's coming from someone who has hand coded in Homesite for almost five years. Never thought I'd say it, but I have to recommend it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_h
    Anybody tried Visual PHP Studio 1.0? unfortunatly there website seems to have gone. I downloaded a copy through kazaa 2 minutes ago.
    look here:
    http://studio.qadram.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Vote for EditPlus for sure.

I havent used that many editors as im a newbie web designer but i have never had a problem with Editplus.

One feature i must say i think is great is the Easy file uploading.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use PHPEdit and I really like it! (www.phpedit.com) - Just get something newer than the 0.6 "stable" version.... it has really improved a lot since that version.

(I use Ultraedit for almost everything else....SQL in particular)...

Cheers,
    Keith.