Thread: Xls & Xhtml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xls & Xhtml

Well, i have a faint idea for the ultimate layer separation:
    Behavior - Data - Presentation , in that case especially Data-Presentation

The idea includes xls file transforming XHTML (containing only semantic ,ordered conent) to XHTML in which all extra elements for cross-browser look are added (may be even header and footer ).

So usability and accessibility are quite awkward. It's better the screenreaders to read the clear page with only the meaningful content. But if chosen to add the header, footer or some other system element via XLS it would not read. Hopefully for the last case screenreaders do read the transformed version. But this mean clear version stays behind.

Yet to come: the questions.
    • Does xls files cash ? If yes well they will do save a lot of traffic for the extra elemnts
    • Does xls transformations are slow and have real impact on user PC performance - page performance
    • Does Search robots index the clear version or the transformed ?
    • Xls transformation time VS not using it and transferring extra code
    • Is cat milk good for your dog's skin ? [:

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you mean XSL (extensible stylesheet language)?

If you're talking about client-side XSL, forget about it. XSL transformations belong on the server, not on the client. Not all browsers support XSL, to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by antitoxic View Post
    Does xls files cash ? If yes well they will do save a lot of traffic for the extra elemnts
    The XSL style sheet may be cached, but I doubt that the transformed DOM tree will be cached. I don't know for sure, though.

Does xls transformations are slow and have real impact on user PC performance - page performance
    Yes!

Does Search robots index the clear version or the transformed ?
    I find it very hard to believe that SE 'bots would run XSL transforms – for performance reasons, if nothing else. So it would be the original XML file that would be indexed (and cached) by search engines.

Xls transformation time VS not using it and transferring extra code
    Depends on the connection speed, of course, but I doubt that you'll gain anything. On the other hand, you'll lose visitors with non-XSL browsers and probably those with slow computers, too.

If you want to store your documents as XML, fine. But transform them into HTML (or pretend-XHTML) on the server and serve the transformed page to user agents.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XSL yes, I switch the letters every single time [:

A detailed answer, I'm grateful about that.

Well, I guess I'll stick with some extra markup instead heading into more trouble. It could be CSS content adding function that will bring less unnecessary code in the future. ...Oor browser rendering will get perfect [::

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSS is for presentation, not content, so that's not the right way to go, either.

Seriously, unless you have massive amounts of data in your header/footer/navigation, the extra markup is probably negligible. Especially compared to images, Flash animations and whatnot.

If it's really an issue, there's always frames …
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane