SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash Site Accessibility

How would I be able to achieve website accessibility for my flash sites? I've tried using the accessibility panel in the flash and add the name/descriptions onto important movieclips and buttons, but how do I know whether its working or not. Also, is it possibility to achieve "alt" tags in flash?

Please let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought Flash in the most part was inaccessible. This is why many choose to develop Flash for unimportant information, such as banners, adverts, and any you can do without. Important information should be non-flash. I know Flash has accessibility options, they did for many years now. But I am not sure how valid this is. You make a compelling point.

Edit: I just found this http://www.webaim.org/techniques/flash/, it gives information about making your Flash accessible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I read those docs there was a big problem (in my opinion) relating to flash and accesibility: users cannot tab out of the swf. Keyboard focus would loop inside the flash movie not allowing the user to navigate to the rest of the content on the page.

I just checked AIM site again and it's still there. Any news on this?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I think the idea was that the whole site was Flash, but if there's an interactive Flash on an ordinary page, I would think you could make the rest of the page a frame and have an accesskey jump to the frame. Or, possibly even just a normal in-page link.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega
    Edit: I just found this http://www.webaim.org/techniques/flash/, it gives information about making your Flash accessible.
    Thanks, I'll look into these websites and let you know if I have any questions.