SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Configuring Apache, PHP, MySQL on XP without running the installer

I'm not so sure if this is possible but thought I would ask.

I had Apache 2.x, PHP 5 and MySQL 5 installed on my XP SP2 machine but on a separate drive. I needed to re-install Windows on my C drive just yesterday. Is there anyway to configure Apache, PHP and MySql without running all the installations.

I'm assuming that since they all were installed on a different drive/partition, some system files probably needs to be copied over to Windows system directory and create the appropriate services.
    With Regards
    Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    parv,

The problem that you're facing is that the registry holds the information to create and run WinDoze services. Without those, you will have to reinstall.

Several years ago, I saw a demonstration of V2i Protector 2.0 (now Norton Ghost, I believe) which is used to backup images of anything up to and including a drive. In less than a week after installing, WinDoze sent out an upgrade which prevented my computer from booting. A quick reinstall of the night before's incremental backup had me up and running in under an hour - with everything intact! It's "saved my bacon" many times since so I swear by this program - although there are others out there that do the same thing. Closing the barn door after the horses are gone, I know, but it could save you from repeating this misery ('cause you'll have to reload EVERY installed program - thanks to M$).

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey David,

Thanks so much for your reply. It's funny you mentioned about Norton Ghost, cause right after I installed Windows and some other software I took a backup of my C drive. I used it before and it works pretty good. This time I actually did a test by formatting the C drive and then restoring everything from the backup that I took just 1/2 hour ago.

I guess I will install Apache, PHP, MySql all over again and then take another backup. Just wanted to avoid configuring all of them again.

Your avatar says you are an apache guru What do you recommend? I had installed Apache, PHP, MySql on a separate drive/partition. Does it really help or have any advantage. I understand that if you configure your root of the server to be in a different partition by editing the httpd.conf file, it might be useful(keeping all the sites/pages on a different partition), but what about actually installing them. Where do you stand? Install on a separate partition or same as Windows.
    With Regards
    Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    parv,

Sorry, you have no choice but to reinstall because you didn't have that in your disk image.

What I've done on my computer is leave the applications on C: but I've moved my websites to a W partition (on a second HD). The reasoning is that all applications are tied to the registry (and DON'T change every day) whereas my websites and not and do.

BEFORE you reinstall, I hope you'll take copies of your config files (httpd.conf and vhost.conf - or whatever - and your php.ini) as that'll make your life easier!

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator