SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Content writer wants designer, 50/50 split of profit

I've read these threads before, and I understand it's not a good offer.

In this case, I do like the project. So I was thinking of making a counter offer for a set fee up front and a 60/40 split. What else should I be considering?

Does that sound like a plan, or should I just forget the whole thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you get everything in writing and make it very clear to him that what you are about to enter is a legally binding contract, it is fine.
    ------------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like the project I don't see any problem with making a counter offer. I guess it will depend on what other designers respond and whether they are happy with the content writer's terms.

You may also be able to negotiate other design work for ongoing site maintenance down the track.

As rageh said, just make sure that if you agree on something and go ahead make sure you get it in writing.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Your question is pretty sketchy. Is this for a single website or are you setting up a business partnership?

Single website: If this is for a single project, who acquired the project? Is the project for 100 pages or five? Design only or does programming enter in? What about SEO?

Partnership:

1.Who is more experienced? (i.e. -a) has a better portfolio b) has more satisfied clients for either long-term business relationships or that can give testimonials and referrals?

2. What services will you offer (if any) other than design and content? Who'll do the programming for e-commerce and other interactive services? Who'll do the SEO?

3. What type of business fund will you maintain?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is for the written content on Facebook it is a horrible deal.
    It this is for the written content on the Wall Street Journal it is about the greatest deal ever.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said partnership for a single website that will include his existing content spread out on 2 sites set up on free hosting accounts. He wrote the content. It's at least 100 pages. He would continue to write. I would create an up to date website, on paid hosting, and add all the old content into it. If I do it, we will use Wordpress, and his new content would be added by him in WP.

I think we are both inexperienced. I have more knowledge of coding than he does, but I don't have much paid work experience. I am trying to go from hobbyist to freelancer. I would do programming & SEO.

We haven't yet discussed the business fund. I didn't get that far with him, wanted opinions on whether or not I should make a counter offer or just forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Your question is pretty sketchy. Is this for a single website or are you setting up a business partnership?

Single website: If this is for a single project, who acquired the project? Is the project for 100 pages or five? Design only or does programming enter in? What about SEO?

Partnership:

1.Who is more experienced? (i.e. -a) has a better portfolio b) has more satisfied clients for either long-term business relationships or that can give testimonials and referrals?

2. What services will you offer (if any) other than design and content? Who'll do the programming for e-commerce and other interactive services? Who'll do the SEO?

3. What type of business fund will you maintain?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better than Facebook, nowhere near WSJ. If Facebook is a 1, and WSJ is a 10, I guess this is about a 4.

Quote Originally Posted by samsm View Post
    If this is for the written content on Facebook it is a horrible deal.
    It this is for the written content on the Wall Street Journal it is about the greatest deal ever.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is to handle and pay for the marketing of the site and other 'hard' expenses? If it's you, then you are effectively acting like a book publisher, and it's typical for a publisher to take around 90% of all income.

If you are splitting all costs, then 50/50 is a good way to go. If he's covering all costs and you are just providing labour then 50/50 is probably a good deal for you. It really depends on a lot of factors, especially with regard to how much work is performed by each party over the long term.

Personally, if I thought it was a promising proposition, I'd go for the 'publisher' option and take a 90% cut of all profits.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    From what you said, it looks to me like you have been approached to build a website that replaces two other websites that contain 100 pages of content now spread over two other websites.

You haven't been specific about how this website is supposed to generate the income. I assume its from these pages of content or from affiliate links or ad words.

Who owns the domain or if you don't have one yet, who will be responsible for purchasing the domain and hosting? If it's the other guy, then I would say he is a web design "prospect" and not a very good one at that.

It appears that he doesn't want to pay for the design, but instead is offering you 50% of what is right now nothing.

If he has generated income from these two other sites, I would want to take a look at detailed income records for at least the last 6 months before I agreed to his proposal or partnership. If there is no viable income as yet, then you'll need to do some research to see how long it will take to break even on your investment of time and talent.

You say you are new and trying to turn a hobby into a profession. One of the first things you should do is read all the threads here about why its important to get things in writing and read the articles here about how to set up a professional business.

Are you in the same location as your 'friend'? How will you know what the total income is so that you can be sure your cut is accurate?

As a new designer, do you really have the time to create a 100 page website for free? IMO you should be looking for paid work that will help you build a portfolio.

From what you have said, I think this type of proposition is quite overwhelming for a new designer, even if your 'friend' has generated income on his other two sites.

I'd pass. Best case, it will take you weeks, maybe months of work to receive any income. Worst case, your 'friend' isn't your friend at all... he's a freeloader.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown