SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remotely load & run & abandon a web page . . .

Here's a weird situation: I have a web application (classic ASP), and when a client organization updates specific user settings, the database needs to make some calculations for each user of that client.

Not a problem. I can do this with AJAX, run additional pages remotely and get all of that done without reloading the page. So far, so good.

The problem: When some of the larger clients make some of those specific changes, it ties up the database for a few minutes. Which means, the AJAX call does not get a return result until that's done. No further updates can happen until that's done...and several people have complained that the wait is unacceptable.

Is there any way to just send an AJAX or JavaScript call, let the page run and not worry about getting anything back? Basically, I just want to load and run another web page unattended.

(I already know how to check and see whether the page is available, and tell the user when it's not; I just need to figure out a way to call the page without expecting any return results.)

In classic ASP, I have tried this with Server.Execute and Server.Transfer, but in both cases the user ends up waiting for all the web pages to complete their thing . . . which sometimes wastes time unnecessarily.

Any ideas?

Is there some kind of AJAX functionality that would just send something like a "run" command to another web page?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ajax doesn't expect any results unless you set up a handler for onreadystatechange. Also, it's asynchronous so it should not tie up the browser at all.

Any chance you're not using ajax, but server-to-server xmlhttp with async set to false?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm . . . could be. Let me dig into that and get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you very much for the good info!