User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Regarding YPN Tax

I have a question for any webmasters who are familiar with the Yahoo Publisher Network. During 2005-2006 I made my entire income from them and Google Adsense. I worked with an accountant to see what percentage of my income was taxable, and I think he made a terrible mistake reflecting back on it.

To be short, I paid 49% in tax on ALL of my generated income from YPN. This was before they had auto tax deduction I believe.

I read somewhere that 30% should more than cover the amount needed to pay in taxes from them.

I understand this isn't legal advice, and I'm looking for a new accountant right now to help me solve this problem, but I would REALLY appreciate it if someone here could back up my presumption, or point me to some articles that help explain this sort of thing.

Thank you!

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Income is income, whether it's YPN or Adsense or affiliate income it's all taxed the same way.

If you paid 49% tax on your YPN income then you must have made some serious coin from google alone (like 6 figure coin or be from a highly taxed country). That's a crazy marginal tax rate to be in.

Anyway, I would seriously talk to another accountant, it sounds to me like yours messed up and if he did it's possible to refile your taxes and get some of that money back.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are a U.S. citizen and paid your taxes there, you'll want to do a re-check fairly soon. After three years, you can't file an amended return in the States -- so if you did overpay, you won't be able to get any excess taxes back.

HTH,
    Tom
    Tom Brownsword, CISSP®, GCIA, Security+, ITILv3
    http://TheBusinessProtector.com/
    How Can I Help You Better Protect Your Business?