SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dedicated and MX records

I have been considering upgrading to a dedicated or vps server for some time. In my research I ran across a comment on another forum that didn't seem correct and was hoping someone could clarify.

This person upgraded to dedicated and stated he failed to verify his mx records accuracy and was the reason his emails where not being sent out properly.

My question is, does upgrading from shared to dedicated require you to make some kind of change to your mx records? If so, what change needs to be made? I would think upgrading to dedicated would have no effect on your mx records for your email.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what they're potentially saying is that their shared plan also provided emails for their domain. If you switch over from the shared plan, you're also switching over from the shared plan's email feature. That said, you would need to migrate your email from your shared plan to your dedicated server, then change the MX records to your dedicated server's IP. Alternatively, you could ask your shared plan provider to keep your email as a separate service so you wouldn't have to change anything.