SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Strange cookie problem

On a server I have access to I can successfully set a cookie using PHP however when trying to read the cookie back, the server plays dumb and acts like there is no cookie. I have tested my code (very basic) on two other servers and it works as expected. While I have access to this server with the problem I didn't configure it nor am I the administrator although I can see the Apache and PHP configuration files. Is there any way a firewall (non-personal) could block the cookies from being read by the server? I've tried my test code using Firefox, IE and Opera on windows, and Firefox on Linux and its the same every time. Any thoughts?

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    sm20,

Cookies are sent with the header information - automatically.

May I assUme that you are using the same browser? May I assUme that your browser is set to allow cookies to be sent to ANY server?

No, a firewall will allow cookies to go through with the other headers. IMHO, it's your browser's cookie settings which is blocking your OTHER server from reading the cookies which are likely set to be sent ONLY to the original (setting) domain.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dklynn View Post
    sm20,

Cookies are sent with the header information - automatically.

May I assUme that you are using the same browser? May I assUme that your browser is set to allow cookies to be sent to ANY server?

No, a firewall will allow cookies to go through with the other headers. IMHO, it's your browser's cookie settings which is blocking your OTHER server from reading the cookies which are likely set to be sent ONLY to the original (setting) domain.

Regards,

DK
    I'm using a variety of browsers which are all set to be wide open to all cookies. Again, the test pages work on several other servers. Its just this one that gives me a problem reading a cookie that it sets.