User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

adding expires header for images via CDN

Hi,
    We have finally decided to move to a CDN since it would help serve our static content better. Since I'm an avid Yslow! user I've always added Far future expires header to all the static content that were being served by our server. Now that the CDN is going to serve all the images, javascript and css files, how do I ensure that the static content has a far futures expires header to them? Your help is much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a task for your webserver as in the best case requests to static content won't hit the rails stack.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I don't have a clear idea yet as to how the CDN works, please correct me if i'm wrong. So basically the flow is like this.
    .html (or php) files refrences to static.mysite.com/images/abc.gif -> which goes to the CDN (since static.mysite.com is mapped to CDN) -> images comes to end user from cdn.
    I have doubts about the 3rd stage. If the static images go directly from CDN to the end user, then any addition of headers should be done at the CDN side right? Or is it that the images come from CDN to our servers and from the they are deliverd to end users, in which case I can easily take care of adding the headers?
    Thanks for your patience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it should be done in the CDN, ask your CDN admin.