SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current Design Trends

Well, I don't know how I'm supposed to begin this post, so I'll just toss out everything off the top of my head:

• The glossy web 2.0 look is on its last legs.
    • A preference for custom / unique photography/photographs is really picking up.
    • There seems to be a return, or at least a movement, to the "matte" (non-gloss) look for buttons and graphics.
    • Banners are a big thing. Good banner = memorable site design. No banner = tends to be easily forgotten. Banners are quickly turning into something akin to a "brand billboard".
    • Short, but fun, brand names are becoming an increasingly sound marketing strategy. Anything that is akin to "e-synergywebdesign.com" is quickly being associated with dated designs and old-fashioned approaches.
    • More users are beginning to understand the benefits of a custom-made design vs a pre-built template. I'm not saying more people prefer custom over templates, but based on my experience, I've noticed a lot more custom requests lately.
    • Client preference for minimalist and/or brightly-colored designs. Based on our work, we've had ZERO requests for a dark-colored site in the last two years. (and we don't suck at dark sites at all).
    • Clients are now more open to textured/graphic-heavy websites, even if they are corporations or institutions (e.g. schools and universities).
    • Increase in video-based presentation and integration. The YouTube effect?
    • Universal design approaches - more clients are starting to understand the importance of consistent branding across platforms: they expect their main site, print materials, emails, social networking accounts, and blog to all carry a common look and feel.

So far that's what I can recall off the top of my head.

Thoughts? Reactions? Additions to the list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get started with this blog.

www.smashingmagazine.com

Then subscribe to link mashup pages (del.icio.us, digg.com, etc...) for web design and development related channels.

I use these two:

http://del.icio.us/popular/programming
    http://del.icio.us/popular/web_design

For Photoshop-related activity, just do as many tutorials on web 2.0 related effects.

Here are a few websites to get you started:

www.psdtuts.com
    www.pixel2life.com
    www.photoshopcafe.com

For getting started on learning website coding and development, I highly suggest learning (X)HTML inside out and then learning CSS, JavaScript, and then eventually dynamic stuff like (PHP).

Make sure you read this book:

http://www.transcendingcss.com/

good luck
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Er matsko, did you actually read XLCowBoy's post? :?

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen View Post
    Er matsko, did you actually read XLCowBoy's post? :?
    Lol. Maybe he's adding to the thread?

Although in case I'm wrong...

@Matsko: cheers for the information, but I've been doing design for for as far back as I can remember.

<off topic>

Tyssen! Haven't seen you post in awhile.

</off topic>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the current desing trends are simple layout, sentered orientation, design the content not the page, trong colour, used sparingly and so on.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Banners - Banners are the album covers of the 00s. I really didn't realize until reading your post. I have been spending more time on banner design. I'm always thinking "that would be a cool effect." You can do so much with a banner, and the beauty is that must people don't really examine them too close. There is that banner blindness thing, so you can slip all kinds of subtle incentives in there and effect the users behavior.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of my customers seem to be more content focussed nowadays and are asking for very simple "design" so the content takes pride of place. Graphic intensive designs are "out" from where I'm sitting which is great from my perspective.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure a lot of Flash is bad SEO so a site with more text is more successful. People want to copy successful sites even if they don't know why they work. But there is still some room for cool graphics, just keep good seo in mind at all times.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ct7 View Post
    Sure a lot of Flash is bad SEO so a site with more text is more successful. People want to copy successful sites even if they don't know why they work. But there is still some room for cool graphics, just keep good seo in mind at all times.
    Good SEO = appropriate use of technology.

IMHO, if you have video-based content, you should also have a copy of the transcript on the site somewhere.

SitePoint Enthusiast MelissaMiller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Noooo! I just spent 3 days learning to make glossy buttons!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MelissaMiller said
    Oh Noooo! I just spent 3 days learning to make glossy buttons!
    I think its OK. I still find people who like glossy. I myself still do.

And as for blogs you see a lot of floral and Grunge designs specially from people who are designers.

Pritam Barhate

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floral / Filigree / and "swirly" fluff are also on their last legs.

When I say this, what I mean by it is that those styles are becoming so common they are no longer seen as unique.

Everyone and their mother does them. Heck, over here, the there's a local no-name hair gel company that uses the swirly stuff on their banner ads.

Originality counts.

SitePoint Zealot PatrickSamphire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XLCowBoy View Post
    Floral / Filigree / and "swirly" fluff are also on their last legs.

When I say this, what I mean by it is that those styles are becoming so common they are no longer seen as unique.

Everyone and their mother does them. Heck, over here, the there's a local no-name hair gel company that uses the swirly stuff on their banner ads.

Originality counts.
    I wonder if you're talking about design 'trends' at all, or cutting-edge designs that may become future trends? I'm guessing something is a trend when it's really popular, so "those styles are becoming so common they are no longer seen as unique" would almost imply that they are the trend right now, even if they're due to die soon.

Anyway, interesting thoughts, even if I'm nit-picking semantics... Do you have any specific examples of sites you think are leading the way for 'future trends'?

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickSamphire View Post
    I wonder if you're talking about design 'trends' at all, or cutting-edge designs that may become future trends? I'm guessing something is a trend when it's really popular, so "those styles are becoming so common they are no longer seen as unique" would almost imply that they are the trend right now, even if they're due to die soon.
    A bit of both really. I think there are quite a number of future trends showing up, and a lot of current trends are quickly becoming incredibly vanilla.

Anyway, interesting thoughts, even if I'm nit-picking semantics... Do you have any specific examples of sites you think are leading the way for 'future trends'?
    A few:

www.bureau-va.com
    www.hellohikimori.com
    www.offf.ws
    www.pokelondon.com
    http://omniti.com
    www.artless.co.jp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some very interesting designs, there. I suspect they'll not make it far into the mainstream, but they're a good inspiration for something other than the standard 3-column layout...

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some very interesting designs, there. I suspect they'll not make it far into the mainstream, but they're a good inspiration for something other than the standard 3-column layout...
    You are aware that those guys are some of the highest-paid creative teams in the world, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XLCowBoy View Post
    You are aware that those guys are some of the highest-paid creative teams in the world, right?
    Sure. It's just that these are the kind of sites that display their skills and imagination. Most, though, aren't really suited to the general run of sites out there, which are often more content-heavy and rely on familiarity of structure and appearance for ease of use. So, by 'make it into the mainstream', I mean that I don't see large numbers of sites making this kind of design decision. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time...

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. It's just that these are the kind of sites that display their skills and imagination. Most, though, aren't really suited to the general run of sites out there, which are often more content-heavy and rely on familiarity of structure and appearance for ease of use. So, by 'make it into the mainstream', I mean that I don't see large numbers of sites making this kind of design decision. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time...
    Actually, you're spot on. 99.9% of the time, regular clients would not opt for these style of sites. Although it goes with the territory - these guys market to the larger companies who, in turn, have high-level advertising consultants that do look for the more "cutting edge" companies, some of who are (and we go full circle), the ones listed above.

And by your definition, they definitely aren't mainstream.