SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessibility review please

I've been working on the accessibility of my website, and I'm hoping to hear some advice about making my site more accessible (if needed). I've read quite a bit about accessibility, but haven't had any critiques or user testing. The website is:

www.brianswebdesign.com

Any other criticism or comments are also welcome.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd make the bg-image in the bar under the logo aligned to the bottom so that it doesn't ride up into the middle of the bar when you resize the text.

Colour contrast analyser shows you've got a few areas of failure for color/bg-color combinations.

You should use an off-screen method for hiding the hidden label on your search form because when you use display: none, screenreader users can't read it either. The style should also go in your stylesheet because if it's in the HTML it can't be overridden by a user stylesheet and you also leave yourself open to penalties from search engines for hiding content (not an issue when it's in the stylesheet).

Same with all the other inline styles - all that stuff should be in your stylesheet.

From an accessilibity point of view, the stuffing of keywords into your portfolio images is bad; you should just be describing what the image is, e.g. rickstier.com screenshot.

Also on the portfolio page the title of each portfolio piece would be better marked up with a heading tag - take a look at what the page looks like without styles; the names don't stand out. AT users also use headings to navigate by and get an overview of a page's content so it's a good idea to use them.

On your contact page, no need to wrap your labels and inputs in additional divs; the styles can be applied directly to the elements themselves. In fact, there's way too many divs in your form.

On your estimate page, each of the h2s should really be a legend for a fieldset that contains each of the radios/checkboxes. Tables obviously can also cause problems if tabbing through the cells doesn't follow the logical order that a user would move through the form. The styling of that form can just as easily be accomplished without the use of tables.

The use of accesskeys can cause problems when they conflict with other software shortcut keys and the generally-held advice is not to use them and if you do use them, give the user the option of choosing their own with a user-defined accesskeys script.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyssen, thank you for taking the time to look at my site. It looks like I have some work to do! I won't be able to do anything until tomorrow, but I intend to evaluate each point you brought up.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you're searching for accessibility, one of the first things I did was run it through a 508 validator here http://wave.webaim.org/report?url=ht...bdesign.com%2F.

Definately looks like your on the right path.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as stated above, you're site is easy to acces. I have no idea who would get into trouble there. A nice clean lay out, easy navigation.

good work!
    provide readers with real insight into the world of
    online business: netbusinessblog.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyssen, I made all the changes you talked about, except I haven't got around to working on the forms just yet, and I haven't changed any colors, so color contrast may still not be adequate.

I checked out the user defined access keys, but it looked like more work than I can deal with right now. In the meantime,I disabled the access keys I had.

Thanks for your advice, and thanks to everyone for your comments.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you may give your customer some live samples of your design. you are a Professional designer, but I think your website UI is not very good and you use Yahoo Search not yours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mycwcgr View Post
    I think you may give your customer some live samples of your design. you are a Professional designer, but I think your website UI is not very good and you use Yahoo Search not yours
    You have some good points. I switched from Yahoo search to my own, but curious to hear in a little more detail what you mean by the UI not being very good.

Thanks for your input.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think an example would probably help you the most.
    Look at:
    http://newark1.com
    http://www.visualedgedesign.com/portfolio.html
    These will give you an idea. I have seen better than these on this site up for review. Notice these things:
    Color combinations (designed for excitement - what are the best colors ??)
    They show their examples immediately. They have a good header with main navigation. They catch your attention.
    These are some professional sites. You label yourself as a professional. Show it right away. Get my interest.
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you need to change your website layout its very old layout.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the accessability is good. The navigation works great. And the content is clearly devided into different sections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of your comments and advice.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick loading site, easy to find your way around, nice layout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    layout is nice, but I would add a top navigation bar on the right hand side. Also you don't need the word site menu, and you can defiantly shrink your logo down to size. colors are descent but it seems like too much blue, its funny because of how blue is such a great color to use but once you start using too much of it then it loses its credibility. other than that some typography issues, but good job.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick loading from Europe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so a couple of people have suggested that I get rid of the h3 "Site Menu", saying that it is not needed, but for accessibility, isn't that a mistake? I know it is obviously a site menu to those of us that can see, but what about a person with a screen reader? How will they know that this is a site menu?

My primary method to test accessibility has been to turn off CSS, images, and javascript. I assumed that by doing this, I was "seeing" what a screen reader would read. If the site menu header is removed, there is no clear indication that the site menu list of links is what it is. Since I don't have any blind people with screen readers to talk to, I'm not sure if they would expect the menu to be with or without a header.

Please comment.
    Last edited by skunkbad; Apr 22, 2008 at 09:53.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I like it overall. Nice, clean design, simple navigation.