Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy why my page load slowely !! please help me

hello,

please i designed my pages with css using web 2.0 and xhtml
    and it's valid 100% by w3.org
    but this pages load slowely when entering it ! > please help me and advice me how to solve this prolem .
    note: i included nearly three css files in header of pages , my question is does including more thans css file in header cause to load page slowely !?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

slow page load

Valid mark-up and valid CSS is a good thing, but not the end-all be-all of design. IMHO, in most cases slow page loading is more likely a result of heavy height images/flash, and sometimes lots of HTTP requests, than CSS files. Although path/filename typo errors can slow things down when the browser looks for something that isn't there too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a few simple principles to optimize a site in general:

1) Put your javascript includes and logic after css includes and logic

This makes it so that the rendering engine can deal with the final project without having to wait on the javascript engine to do its processing

2) Use a proxy css/javascript loader

A simple php file that can be passed a bunch of css modules and combine and return the entire css into one file is a good way to reduce the number of HTTP requests on the page

3) Use minification

Minifcation compresses whitespace of scripts and stylesheets to reduce download times. There is a Yahoo compression utility that you can use to accomplish this.

These are some good ways to optimize. As Mittineague mentioned, heavy use of graphics and multimedia is another factor of slow page loading, in fact even more so than the above. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't want to provide a link to the website in question, so that we can check it, you might want to consider doing a speed test yourself: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/s...yze/index.html

That tells you roughly where the problems might be.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mittineague thanks alot..
    chris .. thank u very much .. your advices is great and i will try it
    c2k > thanks u very very much for this great site
    result of checking :

Diagnosis
    Global Statistics
    Total HTTP Requests: 40
    Total Size: 65657 bytes

Object Size Totals
    Object type Size (bytes) Download @ 56K (seconds) Download @ T1 (seconds)
    HTML: 2501 0.70 0.21
    HTML Images: 17904 5.77 2.29
    CSS Images: 8341 5.06 3.44
    Total Images: 26245 10.83 5.73
    Javascript: 23260 5.84 1.32
    CSS: 13651 3.72 1.07
    Multimedia: 0 0.00 0.00
    Other: 0 0.00 0.00

External Objects
    External Object QTY
    Total HTML: 1
    Total HTML Images: 11
    Total CSS Images: 17
    Total Images: 28
    Total Scripts: 6
    Total CSS imports: 5
    Total Frames: 0
    Total Iframes: 0

Download Times*
    Connection Rate Download Time
    14.4K 58.89 seconds
    28.8K 33.44 seconds
    33.6K 29.81 seconds
    56K 21.09 seconds
    ISDN 128K 12.01 seconds
    T1 1.44Mbps 8.35 seconds

Analysis and Recommendations
    TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
    TOTAL_OBJECTS - Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 40 - consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
    TOTAL_IMAGES - Warning! The total number of images on this page is 28 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your graphics. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
    TOTAL_CSS - Caution. The total number of external CSS files on this page is 5 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external CSS files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed CSS for high-traffic pages) on your pages.
    TOTAL_SIZE - Caution. The total size of this page is 65657 bytes, which will load in over 8 seconds on a 56Kbps modem - or 21.09 seconds. Consider reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second response times on 56K connections. Be sure to provide feedback for pages over 30K by layering your design to display useful content within the first two seconds. Consider optimizing your site with Speed Up Your Site or contacting us about our optimization services.
    TOTAL_SCRIPT - Caution. The total number of external script files on this page is 6 , consider reducing this to one or two. Combine, refine, and optimize your external script files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed scripts for high-traffic pages) on your pages.
    HTML_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 2501 bytes, which less than 20K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your page to display content in well under 8 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.
    IMAGES_SIZE - Caution. The total size of all your images is 26245 bytes, which exceeds 15K. Consider optimizing and creatively cropping your images, and combining them where appropriate. Even better, replace graphic text and form controls with styled text to eliminate unnecessary HTTP requests. Ideally each image should be less than 1160 bytes, to easily fit into one TCP-IP packet.
    SCRIPT_SIZE - Warning! The total size of external your scripts is 23260 bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your scripts for size, combining them, and using compression where appropriate for any scripts placed in the HEAD of your documents.
    CSS_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your external CSS is 13651 bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your CSS for size by eliminating whitespace, using shorthand notation, and combining multiple CSS files where appropriate.
    MULTIM_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.

give me advices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it doesn't look too bad, you sure it's not your server?

But why do you have 5 CSS imports and 6 JavaScripts?

Apply Chris suggestions first, you might also want to look into a technique called CSS Sprites: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites
    Dan G

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks c2uk .. my question is what's most things which cause to slow page load ? does it including more external css files or including more external javascript files ? and what is the true method for css ? is putting it in header of page is better than putting it in external file and including it ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    External files are better as they can be cached by the browser. The less external files (including images!) the better, though. Each external file plus the html document itself represents an HTTP request to the server, the less requests you have the less the server has to process.

Apart from this, bad coded php/mysql (or similar) can also significantly slow down the server.
    Dan G

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

load test

You could experiment. Try temporarily removing the javascript. Is it a lot faster? Then try without the CSS. If your browser lets you disable images, try that.
    Maybe everything is only a little adding up, but maybe something will stand out as a main contributer to the slow page load.