SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Badly written articles or just boring topics?

Ive just rebuilt my garage sale website and incorporated a latest news section. And while topics on this subject can be a little hard to come up with, it seems people are reading them, but not leaving comments?

Are my articles badly written, or just uninteresting?

http://www.egaragesales.com.au/news_browse_articles.asp

Any chance someone with good article writing skills could give me some suggestive feedback?

RJ

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the articles are just ads for your own site. All of them contain simple grammar errors (for example, you almost always forget the apostrophe in the contraction "it's"). With the average length of about 8 sentences, you're not talking about much in each piece. There's nothing surprising or new to comment on, so nobody does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youre right Dan. I need to improve on this. When I submit these articles Im typically about to "run out the door". I guess I need to perhaps spend the time and document them in word first? Then make ammendments before publishing?

The grammar mistakes are just laziness. Im usually quite fussy about spelling, punctuation etc.

Im just browsing over some other blogs, including Mr Sinclairs to get a better idea of what changes or approaches I should be making.

RJ

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must learn to use apostrophes!

You're right Dan. I need to improve on this. When I submit these articles I'm typically about to "run out the door". I guess I need to perhaps spend the time and document them in word first? Then make amendments before publishing?

The grammar mistakes are just laziness. I'm usually quite fussy about spelling, punctuation etc.

I'm just browsing over some other blogs, including Mr Sinclair's to get a better idea of what changes or approaches I should be making.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rj

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think that just because nobody comments means that it's uninteresting or badly written. You have to consider that some people might be too busy or lazy to post a comment. Others just can't think of anything else to add to what you wrote

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am reminded of something Harrison Ford said to Mark Hamill during the shooting of the first Star Wars movie.

Hamill commented to Ford about a "discontinuity." In the previous (trash compactor scene) of the movie they were soaked. When they later shot the scene immediately after, the actors were dry.

"Kid...." Ford says in that way only Harrison Ford can, "If the audience notices something like that then this film's got bigger problems." Or something very much like that.

In other words if I notice the trivia, then trivial pursuit - grammar edition is the only interesting thing there. Unfortunately, there are no boring topics. I once saw a molecular filter company turn a description of their product line into an adventure comic. ...a molecular filter company

Suggestion: Sit in front of a brick wall. Pick a brick. Write an ad or story about it. And if you don't believe this could improve your writing, I've got got a piece of the Berlin wall and a pet rock for you which argue otherwise.

With that in mind, read this article about a wedding dress ad written for eBay.

If the text is upside down and backwards, then there's a problem. Otherwise, it's the writing. And I ain't talkin' high falutin triveal persoot here.

Related Reading:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

The above only holds true as long as what you write is relevant and interesting. For ad copy, like a garage sale site, the only comments that matter are punctuated with a dollar sign.
    Last edited by DCrux; Apr 3, 2008 at 05:10.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sorry. but if you want someone to review your content and offer feedback, you will need to post in the "Review my Site" area of Site Point. You'll need to read the guidelines at the top of that forum in order to have your review accepted.

Thread closed.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown