User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to display "popup box", trying to use <span>

Hey all.

I'm trying to display a "popup box" when hovering over a link with the link being inside a table cell.

The code would look like this:

<table>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <a href="#">Link Text</a>
    <span id="uniqueID" style="display: none;position: relative; left: 100px;height:300px;width: 400px></span></td>
    <td>&nbps;</td>
    </table>

When I "toggle the <span>", the table cell expands with it. I've tried changing it to "block" and also "inline", but I get the same result. The difference between the two being inline "hugs the text".

What I want to accomplish is something like www.cnet.com, where the links display a "popupURL", I don't want to use popupURL though. When you hover over a link, a "box" appears with the page data inside.

Example of CNet: http://www.download.com/3120-20_4.ht...eware&tag=srch

The "Link Text" is inside a table, no way around that as it is data returned from the DB with X records.

Any ideas?

Dean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have thought that the <span> would have to be absolutely positioned relative to the <td>

i.e. you should set the span to display:block; and position:absolute; and then make <td> position:relative;.
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why use a table for this though?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Why use a table for this though?
    I'm using a table because there are X records returned from a search. The search results are part numbers and different fields associated with them. When the user hovers over the part number, I want to display the detail of that part in a "popup area", this will avoid having to display that data in a fixed area on the page.

As for using a <span> in a table, I'm trying to get something that works. What is meant by making the table td relative?

I set the z-index to 99 so it would be above the table itself, but the problem is that when the span "expands", it also expands the table td area.