SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Getting Paid To Blog?

I'm looking for content writers for several sites. What sites (other than PayPerPost) matches up webmasters and writers like that?

<snip>

Is the quality of the articles decent?

Any plagarism issues?
    Last edited by Shyflower; Apr 1, 2008 at 05:33. Reason: discussions of price not allowed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want regular bloggers? Try the Problogger job board, it seems to be a good option.
    SUPPORT FOR NEW BLOGGERS - TRY THE Blogging Forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was offered a blogging job out of the blue today. The offer was for <snip> a blog about WordPress plugins and themes.

I have no idea what sort of quality they are expecting though. <snip>[price] not very good.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Apr 1, 2008 at 05:29. Reason: discussion of specific prices is not allowed at Site Point

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    think <snip>[price]per post isn't that bad enough
    Last edited by Shyflower; Apr 1, 2008 at 05:30. Reason: discussion of specific pricing not allowed at Site Point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying <snip> is a good pay rate for blog posts, or a poor pay rate?
    Last edited by Shyflower; Apr 1, 2008 at 05:31. Reason: removed price

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think <snip> is an average rate. Post people start out at payperpost at<snip> per post.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Apr 1, 2008 at 05:32. Reason: discussions of price not allowed

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by websiteprodigy View Post
    I'm looking for content writers for several sites. What sites (other than PayPerPost) matches up webmasters and writers like that?
    Try Smorty, or advertise what you need in the relevant section of forums, here of DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is 5 <snips> a fair price? :P

hahaha, sorry, i couldn't resist.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try scriptlance, writerlance, and elance.. just getting your needs on more sites mgiht help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if someone pays for your entry, that means that it's their property already right? Doesn't anyone feel bad about that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudkipz View Post
    But if someone pays for your entry, that means that it's their property already right? Doesn't anyone feel bad about that?
    Why would anyone feel bad about that? I am stoked that someone wants to pay me for my blithering rants. My name will still be in the credits and I get a cool 150 <snips> per <snip> for it.

If people felt bad about selling their stories, journalists would have some very serious depression issues!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ No...I meant for those who get paid to write for someone else's blog without any mention as to who really wrote the article. I've come across those kinds of sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That wouldn't bother me either, I'd just ask for a few extra dollars to compensate for it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh well that's a nice outlook to it...but I get bothered just thinking about someone else using what I wrote without saying that it's mine. Even if I was paid.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you got a point there but that's part of the bargain, you write as they pay

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is just part of the game, you can do what level you feel suits you. People will pay for someone else to create a site and create the content and if you're lucky they might pop it together their selves, others will want to do everything on their own (like me).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care if someone claims my words as long as I get paid.. that is why I wrote them.. right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by websiteprodigy View Post

<snip>

Is the quality of the articles decent?

Any plagarism issues?
    Check out JournalismJobs.com, Helium.com, iFreelance.com, and Guru.com.

On the topic of writing content for others, if you write something for someone else it is still yours and you retain all rights except those that are part of any legal agreement. That means that a 'work for hire' is indeed the client's and they need not point out who wrote it, as they own it. If you are paid for an article and the contract does not specify that it is a 'work for hire' then usually you are selling first print or electronic rights, but you should clarify this and check the contract out.

Most magazine and web authors for example sell some form of first publication rights, though some publishers buy both first print and electronic rights. It will vary, and is important to keep on top of. Sometimes you may retain copyright but the agreement will require you to acknowledge where it was first published.

I wrote an IT related column for a newspaper, for example, and retain copyright of the published articles. I could post them on a website if I chose. However, there were several unpublished articles that I could not throw up on a website, for instance, as I would have to wait until the paper published them first. Since they were time contextual and dealing with technology and issues of the moment, they won't be published by the paper, and I won't be putting them in a personal archive online or couldn't submit them elsewhere (unless the terms of the contract allowed it after a specified amount of time).

One of the things I love about blogging or running your own site is the ability to control such issues.

Good luck finding writers for your project!

Sean
    Connectionary
    Sustainable eBusiness, Economic Development, Communications
    http://www.connectionary.com/
    http://twitter.com/Connectionary