SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you take your camera with you everywhere you go?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I could not leave the house without it

10 34.48%
  • No.

7 24.14%
  • Sometimes..

12 41.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you take your camera everywhere?

I just lately got a decent camera for the first time, and a few times when I've been walking about I've thought to myself, damn if I'd just brought my camera.

Any of you out there that take your camera everywhere you go? Have you actually reaped any good shots from having it to hand when you otherwise wouldn't have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the sometimes crowd . If it's something like maybe um.. Biking in Malibu </shameless_plug> . Camera work is not really a hobby or anything for me, so if I take it out to get shots, I tend to think of it as busy work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is your camera a compact? I ask since the one I bought is quite hefty, and the bag supplied is a little well, dorky. So I'm really on the scout for a bag that will hold it plus a tripod if necessary for planned trips out.

So far I've not found anything ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Is your camera a compact? I ask since the one I bought is quite hefty, and the bag supplied is a little well, dorky. So I'm really on the scout for a bag that will hold it plus a tripod if necessary for planned trips out.
    Mine is a small digital, though back in my days when I was into photography more, I had one that was somewhat big, but nothing like wide lenses or anything. The digital was nice because it's small enough to where it fit in one of the pockets of my tripod bag, so I just carried around the tripod .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Difintely not as it's a bit big. I've missed quite a few photo ops though so I might get a compact.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

There should be another option - most of the times but not always.

I don't carry it always but 95% times when I'm going out! And I can understand what you mean Andy, earlier I used a Kodak LS753 which is a compact & I hardly carried it out with me but since I got Panasonic FZ50 last year I've been taking it out just about all the times I've gone out and its quite bigger & heavier than the Kodak one!

I ask since the one I bought is quite hefty, and the bag supplied is a little well, dorky. So I'm really on the scout for a bag that will hold it plus a tripod if necessary for planned trips out.
    I didn't get any bag with mine, so I got a CaseLogic holster which can house my camera, polarizer, 2-3 memory cards & the battery charger along with a piece of micro-fiber cloth & some cotton. Now since I ride a bike so it might not prove healthy for my camera if I lug the holster around slinging on my shoulders, so I got a normal medium sized backpack in which I can put my camera & a book & am ready to go anywhere in the city or a bit outside. For a couple of days trip out of city also that backpack is good to carry a change of clothes! As for tripod, when I got it I bought a cover for it with a shoulder strap so its easy to carry that!
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll look up case logic to see what they have on offer. Since my camera isn't an SLR, and as such I can't change lenses, only add the supermacro and wide-angle converter some of those bags might be overkill for me. Still it would be nice to have the extra space perhaps.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't, but mostly because my digital SLR camera is too big to carry around all of the time, as is my higher end non-SLR digital camera. I want to have a smaller digital camera (a cell phone camera doesn't cut it with me) that I can take around so I don't miss out on inspiring shots. Sometimes I think I might turn into the Japanese tourist from the movie Airplane 2...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, Sperlock

I suppose the wider question here is, do you make specific plans to go out and get good shots?

I'm planning a few trips on that basis, and hope to get some good landscape/woodland shots. But that seems reasonable because you don't necessarily pass through woodland or country landscape on a daily basis if you live in a city. I guess I'd like to be able to take my camera with me when ever I leave the house, just incase I come across something worthy of snapping.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I'll look up case logic to see what they have on offer. Since my camera isn't an SLR, and as such I can't change lenses, only add the supermacro and wide-angle converter some of those bags might be overkill for me. Still it would be nice to have the extra space perhaps.
    Yeah well, mine isn't a dSLR either!

I suppose the wider question here is, do you make specific plans to go out and get good shots?
    I belong to 2-3 local photography groups, one of them a photowalking group & shoots are organised now & then at some place within the city(lots of places, historical & otherwise here) or a bit outside the city!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, just not as often as I would like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard for me to set a specific time to go out and actually look for things. I'm one of those types that likes it when a good shot comes to me, instead of me having to focus on a good shot. Makes it more fun for me that way . If I have to go to a certain place that I normally don't go to, I try and do something else with photography, like biking / hiking / jogging, and carry my digital with me just in case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interestingly we've not seen anyone say that they 'absolutely take their camer everywhere'. Of course not everyone here at SitePoint forums is a photography enthusiast. I bet at a photography forum the answers would be all yes.

@asp_funda: You gave me a good idea! I'll search out some photography groups and perhaps I can go places I hadn't thought of and get some tips! Great

@chris_fuel, I used to think exactly the same way about taking pics until I got my new camera. It's not a DSLR, but it's one of those 'bridge' cameras which is similar in make up and size, and cost just about what I could part with, So I've been keen to make the most of it

SitePoint Enthusiast dotcompals's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I do take my camera everywhere.
    (1) Canon digital rebel ( 400D )
    (2) Sony Ericson k850i ( using which I am keeping my mobile blogs )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good man! Do you have a flickr acc'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good man! Do you have a flickr acc'?

Yes, I do have.
    I have posted it here
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...4&postcount=27

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'll check that out

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i do not have camera with me my phone does so yes i have one at all times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The phone camera isn't forgotten with me, and I always have it to hand but usually I find the most interesting pics could have been taken with something more advanced and without photoshop work afterwards. Things like depth of field etc, more easily captured if you have a decent manual setting camera on hand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Interestingly we've not seen anyone say that they 'absolutely take their camer everywhere'. Of course not everyone here at SitePoint forums is a photography enthusiast. I bet at a photography forum the answers would be all yes.
    You would loose your bet then Andy. I'm a member of several photography groups, both local & on Flickr, and from what I know I'd say even the die hard photography enthusiasts don't take their cameras everywhere!! As for me, I do take my camera just about everywhere but still there are some places where I don't(like if I'm going to the local market for some supplies, eh!!). Also since I ride a bike so if I know a camera isn't allowed where I'm going then I don't take it along since I wouldn't have a place to safekeep it if I take it along. Ofcourse having a car has its benefits as you can leave the camera in there on such occasions!

Ofcourse, if mobile cameras count then I've got a Nokia N70 ME which is with me even where my regular camera isn't(like when going to the local market, eh!).

@asp_funda: You gave me a good idea! I'll search out some photography groups and perhaps I can go places I hadn't thought of and get some tips! Great
    Cool. Check out if you have some "photowalk" groups near your place. They have a photowalk now & then which is basically just going to some place, walking around taking photos!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case, I do take my camera everywhere.
    I have a backpack. so it resides safely there.
    and I do make use of the 5 mp camera inside my k850i mobile phone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

And if you are looking for a camera bag then this article might be of help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_funda View Post
    And if you are looking for a camera bag then this article might be of help!
    Photography guides article! SNATCH! Wohoo now it's not empty anymore! Which btw, if you have any other good photography posts guides, you can send them to me so I can add them

Photography Guides

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chris_fuel View Post
    Which btw, if you have any other good photography posts guides, you can send them to me so I can add them
    This blog has lots of useful guides, tips, articles, its a worthy must read blog(its run by Darren Rowse aka ProBlogger):
    http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it out of my home and put it in my trunk at least 8 out of 10 times.